memory slot in Core Duo

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by richard.mac, Aug 31, 2009.

1. richard.mac macrumors 603

richard.mac

hi just a quick story… about 6 months ago my Core Duo MBP shut off and then rebooted with loud post beeps. everything is fine since except that it can only run with 1 stick of RAM in the lower slot, with both or just the upper filled it doesnt boot and the optical drive sounds like it cant start. does anyone know what the problem is and could i fix it myself? my 1 year warranty is out and missed the 2 year upgrade.

also does anyone know if this model can run 1x 2GB of memory? i used to have 1.5GB (came with 1x 512MB and added 1GB) and now been running with just 1 gig and missing the performance albeit a positive is Snow Leopard is a lot more snappy on 1 gig than Leopard :).

2. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

anyone know?

in a nutshell; does a single 2GB RAM stick by itself work in a MacBook Pro Core Duo?

3. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

4. richard.mac thread starter macrumors 603

richard.mac

nice Whirlpool, thanks! what did you search for? i Googled like 3 times and couldnt find anything conclusive.

5. LedCop macrumors regular

LedCop

I searched for "macbook core duo 2GB ram stick."

But when I left out "core duo" I got this in my first page: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=267175

Not sure if CanadaRAM is being accurate though. I don't think a core duo MacBook would even start up with more than 2GB of RAM much less have a chance to crash.