memory slot

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by stoveguy, Jul 4, 2010.

1. stoveguy macrumors member

new guy. sorry for old question. 3yr old black macbook. has bad memory slot. will not boot with chip installed. tried swapping chips and slot 1 or 2 and its the slot. so at least computer works. what are the odds 2nd slot will fail? is that rare? is it just a bad solder connection on main board for memory terminal? or some tiny hidden board trace or other hard to find component?

2. miles01110 macrumors Core

miles01110

A slot failure is not common. I think I've only seen 2 or 3 other instances of it on the forums, and only another couple in 8 or 9 years of dealing with computers in general.

3. stoveguy thread starter macrumors member

unit had a charging issue fixed under warranty. have paperwork somewhere. replaced a daughter board? assume they opened case? would that increase odds of having another hardware issue like flaky memory slot? would like to talk to independent shop that does mac work to see if memory slot issue is fixable.

4. stoveguy thread starter macrumors member

we had 2x512mb ram before. i got 1gb stick and it works ok with that. will we notice any difference as far as speed or running software with the current set up vs the prior 2 stick set up? have not seen much info online about comparisons.