Memory Space Problem

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by babychar, Apr 25, 2015.

1. babychar macrumors newbie

Hi,

Few days ago I went to install a game worth 13GB, but then when I uninstall it, it only return me 10GB of space. 3GB was unreportedly "gone".

My MacBook Air is OS X yosemite version 10.10.3, and my time machine is always off. Tried the spotlight but it doesnt reflect much.

Please advise.

2. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

You are being too vague.

What game? What made you think it took 13GB in the first place (I don't understand what you mean by "worth 13GB"). Did you empty your trash?

How is Time Machine "off"?

3. babychar thread starter macrumors newbie

4. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

But how do you know that? Was there an installer file that was deleted previously or some other change? Depends how you "knew" it took about 13GB in the first place...

5. grahamperrin macrumors 601

grahamperrin

6. babychar thread starter macrumors newbie

After clicking on "install" for dota 2 on steam, the amount of space required was shown to be around 13gb, which possibly include all its updates to this date (actual reason unknown), and could be why it is no longer around 8gb worth.

Screen Shot 2015-04-26 at 11.00.54 pm.png

According to the screenshot, the volume seems to be ok.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Actually my guess is that they are telling you that it requires 13GB of space during the install, the actual space used can drop after that once the installation compressed files are deleted etc. If you ended up getting 10GB back when deleted, I think that is all that was used after the installation was completed.

8. m4v3r1ck, Apr 27, 2015
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2015

m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

How did you uninstall it, did it came with an uninstaller app or did you just deleted the game application?

Just an example what files are installed/used in other Folders, so just removing the games application just won't do the job.

[​IMG]

In this example removing only the games application, would result there's still near 1GB on your drive left and 'lost' in the Application Support Folder.

Cheers

9. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Hmmm, still shows only a total of 8GB though (which is what they say), not the 13GB OP refers to....:confused:

10. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

It's just an example (other game) that when you only just delete the games application from the Applications Folder, files can remain on your drive in e.g. the Application Support Folder or other, by the installer, created Folders,

APPZAPPER searches for all related files to an application, so no junk is left behind.

'Perhaps' that's what happened!

Cheers

11. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Ooops :eek:

12. m4v3r1ck macrumors 68020

m4v3r1ck

No Prob! Hope my example will help OP and others too...

Cheers