Memory/storage on new 13" MBP?

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by tx2005, Oct 29, 2016.

1. tx2005 macrumors regular

Hey all,

I'm looking at purchasing a new 13" MBP, primary for my wife to replace her very old HP laptop. She is a pretty casual computer user (mostly web surfing, watching videos, email, paying bills etc.). I have a tendency to want to upgrade everything since that's how I buy my own laptops, but it's probably unnecessary for her.

Anyways, my question is how useful would upgrading the flash storage and RAM? I would like this laptop to last her 3-4 years at least, so I want to be sure that future updates to OS X aren't going to slow things down. Is the base setup of 256 gb of storage and 8 gb of RAM enough for pretty casual use and future proofing for the next 3-4 years of OS X upgrades? I was thinking of going with 512 gb of storage and 16 gb of RAM, but that $400 seems a big pricy especially if it won't make much of a difference performance wise.

Anyways, any suggestions? Keep the 256/8 gb of ram or upgrade both? If I should just upgrade one, which seems more necessary, the storage or RAM?

2. JTToft macrumors 68040

- Yes, it's plenty. You can also go with the base 12" MacBook with no problems.