Memory update for macbook 17" mid 2012

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by Palmereldritch8, Oct 14, 2014.

1. Palmereldritch8 macrumors newbie

Hi there all. I apologise in advance if this has been asked and answered already. I'm looking to upgrade my MacBook Pro mid 2012 17" and late 2012 13". The 17" is the problem. Official mac site does not list it in its memory upgrade list. I figured I'd try here. The 17" upgrade is a matter of urgency as it's for a music production company I hope to become involved in and running cubase, my vstis are overloading. I'm sitting at 4mb but my understanding is that I can upgrade to 16 if it's a DIY job. As I say, I just need to be sure that I get the right memory. The "crucial" memory for sale seems to be the best option just now, but if anyone has a different opinion please share. As I say, this is a matter of urgency and cost is not an issue just now. I will bump for a quick response, so sorry about that :)

Best,

Palmed eldritch.

2. leman macrumors G3

You want 2 8GB PC3-10600 DDR3 SO-DIMM memory modules. It does not matter what company, frankly. Beware that a potential incompatibility is always possible.

3. Palmereldritch8 thread starter macrumors newbie

Thank you for your quick response. In return, I will try and go out of my way for someone tomorrow , in your honour. :)

4. 53kyle macrumors 65816

53kyle

The reason that your 17" isn't listed, is because it isn't a mid 2012 model. Apple discontinued it in 2012, so if you bought it that year, it is probably a late 2011 model. Nevertheless, the person who responded earlier (leman) is correct.

5. Anitramane macrumors 6502

Or it's a prototype.

6. Gav Mack macrumors 68020

Gav Mack

The crucial 2x8 matched kits for the late 2011 have always worked great for me. I have recommended lots and there's been a pair in my late 2011 17 for almost the last year. CT2C8G3S1339MCEU

Keep your original ram if it ever has to go back to Apple for service to be refitted beforehand, my pair of original Apple 2Gb are actually in the Crucial box I just put that part number in the previous paragraph :D