memory upgrade 2013 iMac 14.2?

Discussion in 'iMac' started by robtonet, Nov 15, 2014.

1. robtonet macrumors newbie

newbie here, new iMac june this year-- memory upgradable to what please.?-i am getting conflicting information, mostly from the net- however my local tekkies say the 32 gig will hose it up--make it unreliable and turn cartwheels etc---and that an added 8 gig, making a total of 16 gig, is ideal, workable and mostly unnecessary for my purposes-
    and finally is my confusion unwarented and the conflicting information, my imagination, or is this stuff truly hard to dig out?--it seems i can always get the straight stuff here!l--thank you-

2. g.t. rags macrumors 6502

if your a basic user, and only using for web browsing, streaming, emails and etc, you will never need to use the full 16....

i have 16 in my mac mini, and the only thing that slows it down is the 5400rpm HDD.... been meaning to install an SSD but just don't have the patients or the extra money for the adapter kit....

if your using programs that involve heavy tasking, 16 will do you just fine.... i'm sure there are people that NEED 32, but chances are, your not one of them....

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

It's best to learn to use the tools available to you to see if your computer could use RAM or not. Apple provides and article called

Using Activity Monitor to read System Memory and determine how much RAM is being used (OS X Mountain Lion and earlier)

You can read the article by clicking:

http://support.apple.com/en-us/HT1342

4. SaSaSushi macrumors 68040

SaSaSushi

Yes, the 27 inch will support up to 32GB of RAM and so long as you go with a good brand and the right specs you should have no issues.

This Crucial RAM is confirmed working in the Late 2013 and new riMacs.

However, do be aware that the Haswell Macs are very finicky when it comes to RAM. Although Apple's specs note 1.5V DDR3, they actually ship with DDR3L 1.35V PC3-12800.

See this thread for more info.