Memory Upgrade can't install more then 2GB

Discussion in 'iMac' started by fcorry, Oct 28, 2010.

1. fcorry macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2010
    I have one of the earlier intel core duo imacs, not sure how early.

Today I've gone out and purchased 4GB of DDR2 667 ram (2 x 2GB), to upgrade from my existing 2 x 1GB.

On installing the full 4GBs of ram I get a black screen with a constant white light. If I try the 2GB sticks individually and they both work fine, so both sicks of ram appear to be fine. I've also tried a 3GB combination using one 2GB new stick and one 1GB old but this gives the same black screen.

I've a bad feeling that I may not be able to upgrade my ram beyond 2GB so I've wasted my cash and time. I know the Leopard OS is 32bit but I was hoping that I could put 4GB and this would at least give me 3GB?

According to this I may be unfortunate to have one of the earlier macs that can't handle over 2GB, but I don't know how to tell?

Can anyone suggest a solution or work around, to resolve my issue and get both new sticks of ram working, or am I trying to do the impossible?
  2. flopticalcube macrumors G4

Sep 7, 2006
    In the velcro closure of America's Hat
    There are no workarounds. If it's Core Duo, then you are stuck at 2GB.
  3. fcorry thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2010
    Yeah its a 1.83mhz intel core duo. According to the link in the above post, some of the later 2006 imacs could handle 3gb's. Can I just clarify before I return the ram.
  4. Hellhammer Moderator

Staff Member

Dec 10, 2008
    But they are Intel Core 2 Duo. You are stuck with 2GB with Core Duo
  5. fcorry thread starter macrumors newbie

Oct 28, 2010
    Thanks. Its a real shame was looking forward to some extra performance. On the positive side I have managed to replace the faulty hard drive, so no more booting from usb.