Memory upgrade effect on performance

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by rafacq, Aug 23, 2008.

1. rafacq macrumors newbie

How much an improvement in performance will I see if I bumped the memory in my Power Mac Dual 2.5Ghz G5 from 1.5 Gig to 5.5 Gig? Will it be worth spending $140 for 4 Gigs? Does anyone know of a better price? I am thinking of ordering from OWC.

2. mad jew Moderator emeritus

mad jew

Increasing memory merely decreases a bottleneck. If you're not accumulating page ins and page outs very rapidly whilst using your machine, then additional memory will be of a lesser benefit to you. Restart the machine and use it as you normally would. Record the page ins and page outs (viewed in Activity Monitor) over a day or so and report back. :)

3. SmurfBoxMasta macrumors 65816

SmurfBoxMasta

If you do things that require large amounts of ram, then the upgrade will help tremendously......ie gaming or other 3D apps, working with LIVE video, or HUGE image file processing, DNA research etc......

if not, then notta. 1.5-3gb is fine for normal everyday stuff......

do as mj said, check your page outs for the REAL, definitive answer :eek:

4. rafacq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks. I am mostly interested because my iPhoto library is over 10,000 photos and its running really slow!

5. scottydawg macrumors 6502

scottydawg

One thing that will speed up iPhoto if it's running slow is to make sure and go to the iPhoto menu and "empty the trash". Apologies if you already know this but I have found a lot of people didn't know there is a separate trash for iPhoto so I am just trying to be helpful.

6. OZMP macrumors 6502

a fast hard drive will help :)
    going from the normal MacPro drive to a Seagate 7200.11 made a noticable difference, as did going from 1gb or ram too 3

7. rafacq thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks everyone.

OWC notified me the memory shipped yesterday. I expect it will arrive Tuesday. Will post my comments after I receive and install the SDRAMS.