Memory Upgrade for a early 2011 MBP

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by fingleburt, Mar 21, 2012.

1. fingleburt macrumors member

2. FearGhost macrumors member

FearGhost

That's the ram that I put in my MBP and it's the same model as yours. I've never had a problem with it. In fact I've upgraded a few macs with Crucial ram and never had any problems.

3. lgwells1 macrumors regular

lgwells1

I used OWC RAM, good price and good quality. No problems since I installed it in December 2011 in my early 2011 MBP.

4. Macman45 macrumors demi-god

Macman45

Got mine from Crucial...no problems at all...iMac is rocking 16GB I'm told that Apple buy from them too...and whatever you do DONT buy from them. It's a easy job, won't effect your warranty or AC, and you save $$$

5. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

They could buy from Crucial, but I highly doubt it as everything I have seen standard in Apple is either Hynix, Samsung, or in certain cases in the past some Micron chips. Not saying anything more than I doubt that Apple buy from Crucial (which is fine RAM).

6. fingleburt thread starter macrumors member

Thanks for the replies guy's, does that price from Amazon seem fair? I used to upgrade my ram myself in the old days with the pc so I'm not too worried about installing it myself.

7. Spink10 Suspended

Spink10

yes - it would be slightly over $40 here - so yes its a fair price

8. Ice Dragon macrumors 6502a

Ice Dragon

Samsung, Hynix, or Elpida (who is now bankrupt).

9. windowstomac macrumors regular

10. windowstomac macrumors regular

Ooh, under 100 quid is quite a good psychological barrier, but I am inclined to wait for the new MBP announcement, as I may get a new one and sell this one :)

11. interrobang macrumors 6502

Crucial == Micron.

It's pretty much guaranteed that Apple buys from Micron from time to time; there are only a few big manufacturers of SDRAM, and Micron, like Hynix and Samsung, is one of them.

12. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Agreed and never insinuated that Micron = Crucial. I was stating that Micron was one of the suppliers in the past that Apple used for their RAM chips and that Apple probably never bought from Crucial (although their RAM is fine). That is all i was stating.

13. Blondie :) macrumors 6502a

Blondie :)

Crucial and OWC is the manufacturers of RAM I have used before. Both are good price and good quality. I recently upgraded my early 2011 MBP with PNY memory from best buy. Never heard anything about it, so I took a gamble. I've had it for a few weeks now and it seems to be holding up pretty well.

14. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

PNY has been a major manufacturer/ player in the game for years. They have put out some really good video cards and memory cards/ thumb drives and are well known for their quality in both. Just sometimes a little more pricey than the competition.

15. Dangerous Theory macrumors 68000

I think you misunderstood the syntax. == means is equal to, as opposed to =/= which means is not equal to. What he's saying is Crucial IS Micron. Crucial is just a brand of Microns'.

16. squeakr macrumors 68000

squeakr

Only in certain computer languages does == mean equal to, in some it means not equal to and in some it means approximately. I was the only person to mention Micron, and I said in the past, which I meant was before Micron owned/ spun off Crucial.

17. jetblk328i macrumors 6502

18. Meus Me macrumors newbie

Early 2011 owner here. Went Crucial last week and installed it. Working nicely. 8GB is enough