Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
I work from home and do everything on my computer including:
Heavy internet browser use (10 pages with up to 30 tabs each).
Plus some professional software usage and lots of multi-tasking.

I was advised by an Apple Tech to purchased the iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core i5 - Quad-Core 27" mostly due to the some professional software usage.
I purchased the iMac 2.8GHz Intel Core i5 - Quad-Core 27" and was advise by an Apple Tech to update the included 4GB memory to 8GB.

There are 4 memory slots which must all match like 2x2GB or 4x2GB or 2x4GB or 4x4GB which is the max.

Can you tell me if I should use 4x2GB (keep the 2 included and add 2 more) or take out the included memory and use 2x4GB which would cost a whole lot more now but leaves the option to update to 16GB later on without having to throw out the 4x2GB .. I guess the real question is if you think I might need to update to 16GB later on ??

I am so torn over this choice and really hope to hear your answers soon ..
I would also like to hear if you all agree with my computer choice .. Thank you.

P.s. Apple recommends the Crucial brand and I have used that brand before:
I am not sure I am brave enough to try a different brand can anyone tell me which brands are considered to be the best and is there a website that rates them ??
P.s.s. I keep my computers for about 3 years (about the same time as the extended warranty I always buy) and then downgrade them to my husband :)

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
You can put 2x2GB + 2x4GB to make it 12GB. It won't affect performance or cause any other issues.

According to a higher level Apple tech support guy all used memory slots must be in sets of two and all must match or will not work properly and they say is why they do not offer it as an option .. I hope that makes sense :)

vidc

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
UK
You could put in a single extra 4GB module making 8 - 2 x 2 + 4.

The only issue is where you insert the extra module if it's on its own. Read the NOTES section on here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3918 to see which slot a single module should go in.

hth

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
According to a higher level Apple tech support guy all used memory slots must be in sets of two and all must match or will not work properly and they say is why they do not offer it as an option .. I hope that makes sense :)

That's bullcrap! Apple doesn't sell 12GB but here are lots of people with that kind of configuration and it works without ANY issues. Modern memory controllers don't need matched RAM, it can be mixed nearly as much as you like. That tech doesn't know what he is talking about

bolen

macrumors 6502
Jul 22, 2008
Sweden
That's bullcrap! Apple doesn't sell 12GB but here are lots of people with that kind of configuration and it works without ANY issues. Modern memory controllers don't need matched RAM, it can be mixed nearly as much as you like. That tech doesn't know what he is talking about

and he's just given those instructions to scare the users into buying Apple-branded memory. :)

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
You could put in a single extra 4GB module making 8 - 2 x 2 + 4.

The only issue is where you insert the extra module if it's on its own. Read the NOTES section on here http://support.apple.com/kb/HT3918 to see which slot a single module should go in.

hth

According to Apple the only options are: 2x2GB or 4x2GB or 2x4GB or 4x4GB which is the max.

I spent a whole lot of money on this computer and do not want to mess it up .. Perhaps I should call them back again ??

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

yeh +1. he doesnt know what he is talking about, silly apple techs.

they dont even need to be matched BTW.

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
yeh +1. he doesnt know what he is talking about, silly apple techs.

they dont even need to be matched BTW.

Apple tech guy agreed with the 12GB option but changed his mind after checking with a higher level of tech ..

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Do you agree with my computer choice and do you think I might need to upgrade to 16GB in the future or do you think 8GB will always be enough memory for this computer .. Thank you.

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
Apple tech guy agreed with the 12GB option but changed his mind after checking with a higher level of tech ..

He's WRONG. See this, at least one guy saying he has 12GB and I've seen plenty of more. Apple doesn't see 12GB, thus the techs don't recommend it.

EDIT: If you get 12GB, it's easier to upgrade to 16GB if needed. I would get 12GB as 2x4GB ain't much more expensive per GB than 2x2GB is

vidc

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
UK
the apple tech support is right .... but as in everything only partly right
A long answer might look something like this......

1) you can put single modules in - as per the apple support page link i posted - so that's official
2) a single module has to be put into the i5/i7 in specific positions, otherwise it won't work
3) a single module will not optimise the machine's capabilities, as well as two modules - but if the choice (say for cost reasons) is limited to either a single 4gb vs 2 x 2gb; i'd go for the former
4) the chip suggseted by the tech support - crucial in this case - will depend on a number of factors eg in the UK I'd have gone with crucial

vidc

macrumors newbie
Jul 29, 2010
UK
Do you agree with my computer choice and do you think I might need to upgrade to 16GB in the future or do you think 8GB will always be enough memory for this computer .. Thank you.

i'd say go for 8gb for now and see how the performance is

personally i'd add a single 4gb rather than 2gb x 2
but if you are worried because of what the tech support said - go for an additional 2 x 4gb if you can cover the cost, as suggested by hammer

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010

1) you can put single modules in - as per the apple support page link i posted - so that's official
2) a single module has to be put into the i5/i7 in specific positions, otherwise it won't work
3) a single module will not optimise the machine's capabilities, as well as two modules - but if the choice (say for cost reasons) is limited to either a single 4gb vs 2 x 2gb; i'd go for the former
4) the chip suggseted by the tech support - crucial in this case - will depend on a number of factors eg in the UK I'd have gone with crucial

Thank you for your input:
I am not completely cheap and would only go with the sets of 2 as you suggest .. I just don't want to waste money or guess the future wrong ..

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
.. I am trying to choose between the 4x2GB or 2x4GB option for now ??

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
.. I am trying to choose between the 4x2GB or 2x4GB option for now ??

Do you want to upgrade it to 12GB/16GB later on? If I was you, I would get 2x2GB from Apple and then buy 2x4GB from 3rd party (OWC, Crucial..) to make it 12GB. Apple RAM is horribly overpriced and 12GB does work without issues, no matter what those retard techs say, they just try to sell you the Apple RAM

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom
always prepare for the future. you will eventually (in an unknown timeframe) want to max out the RAM. $285 including international postage will get you 2x4GB sticks from owc. perfect price! i just ordered some.

are you serious???....... :eek: :eek: :eek: :eek: are you aware of what slots they need to go into? i purchased a single stick and it kept freezing the computer. i dont remember trying slot 1, only 3 & 4. too bad i just ordered 8GB extra, i still have that stick lying around waiting to be sold on fleabay..

Do you want to upgrade it to 12GB/16GB later on? If I was you, I would get 2x2GB from Apple and then buy 2x4GB from 3rd party (OWC, Crucial..) to make it 12GB. Apple RAM is horribly overpriced and 12GB does work without issues, no matter what those retard techs say, they just try to sell you the Apple RAM
2x4GB is the best option i feel. NuRAM is on special for awsome prices atm.

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010

I wish to upgrade to 8GB right now .. I do not know if I will need to upgrade to 16GB later on .. Tell me what you think will happen in the future !!

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
I wish to upgrade to 8GB right now .. I do not know if I will need to upgrade to 16GB later on .. Tell me what you think will happen in the future !!

Well, 8GB is likely sufficient but as DoFoT9 said, prepare for the future. That's why I would get only 4GB (2x2GB) from Apple and then buy 2x4GB from aftermarket to make it 12GB. It's likely enough for you and there will be no need for 8GB in future. Your usage seems a bit heavy so the extra RAM isn't bad, Safari is VERY RAM hungry. Anyway, at least DO NOT buy the RAM from Apple, those are overpriced ;)

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010

Apple recommended the Crucial brand to me and I have used that brand before .. I am not sure I am brave enough to try a different brand !!
I'd like to hear if you all agree with my computer choice .. I bought it yesterday from the Apple Store and still have it in the box !!

iread

macrumors member
Original poster
Jul 30, 2010
Well, 8GB is likely sufficient but as DoFoT9 said, prepare for the future. That's why I would get only 4GB (2x2GB) from Apple and then buy 2x4GB from aftermarket to make it 12GB. It's likely enough for you and there will be no need for 8GB in future. Your usage seems a bit heavy so the extra RAM isn't bad, Safari is VERY RAM hungry. Anyway, at least DO NOT buy the RAM from Apple, those are overpriced ;)

According to Apple the only options are: 2x2GB or 4x2GB or 2x4GB or 4x4GB which is the max so 12GB is not and option: I spent a whole lot of money on this computer and do not want to mess it up .. Perhaps I should call them back again ??

Hellhammer

Moderator emeritus
Dec 10, 2008
Finland
According to Apple the only options are: 2x2GB or 4x2GB or 2x4GB or 4x4GB which is the max so 12GB is not and option: I spent a whole lot of money on this computer and do not want to mess it up .. Perhaps I should call them back again ??

12GB is not offered by Apple but it WILL WORK. You can call them again if you like to but it doesn't change anything, they just try to sell you their products i.e. Apple RAM. You won't mess up anything by making it 12GB :)

DoFoT9

macrumors P6
Jun 11, 2007
London, United Kingdom

i most certainly hope THAT YOU ARE WRONG. because i have just purchased this combination myself. if you wait about a week for the RAM to be delivered i can give you 100% facts?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.