Memory Upgrade for new Imac's

Discussion in 'iMac' started by futurase, Mar 19, 2009.

1. futurase macrumors member

futurase

Anybody upgraded the ram in their new iMac yet??? I bought the flagship 3.06 iMac a couple of weeks ago and love it, but would like to go from the 4gb it comes with to 8gb. I almost passed out when I saw Apple's price of $1,200. I know Apple is very high on their ram. I check Crucial and it is $979!!!! Good grief.

Why is the ram for this machine SO expensive??? I mean Apple wants more than half the cost of the machine. Crucial is almost half.

Norman Ross Jr.

2. Tallest Skil macrumors P6

Tallest Skil

It's DDR3. It will get cheaper. Everything always does.

3. futurase thread starter macrumors member

futurase

Thank you. Everywhere I have looked the price is through the roof. I guess it will take a while.

4. FoxHoundADAM macrumors regular

Yeah it will get cheaper also getting an additional 4 gig for a total of 8 would be a waste of money right now. Nothing at this point will even use all 4 as it stands now. Well nothing that you probably use at least.

5. DannySmurf macrumors 6502a

Well, as someone said, it's DDR3, which is still fairly new. Also important: you're buying the largest-capacity sticks available. Buying the newest/fastest/biggest ANYTHING is always very expensive. RAM is not an exception.