Memory upgrade gone terribly wrong...

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by Mister9, Feb 11, 2008.

1. Mister9 macrumors regular

I've upgraded memory in friends macbook pros several times including my own but I never had this happen:

I opened everything up; slide the memory in at 25 degree angle; pushed it down; and then pushed in to make sure it was nice and snug...

When I pushed in the top slot bent back and then the memory shot out of it spinning in air.

I couldn't believe it, and afterwards I've searched through tons of forums and haven't found anyone with anything similar to this ever happening. Luckily his bottom slot still works but its the original macbook pro with each slot only handling 1GB so he'll never be able to upgrade further. I feel awful but I suppose its a life lesson everyone learns eventually- f*** ur couch, you can do it yourself.. I told him I thought his slots were defective because I had never seen or heard of that happening.

FYI: Every guide to upgrading memory says something along the lines of:
    make sure it is in there tight. don't worry about breaking the memory, because you wont.

Well this is somewhat ture- but, at least if you have a MBP, you can damage the slot- and ultimately ruin your motherboard/computer.

I know this is a done deal but if anyone has some magic remedy for this please let me know. The plastic is cracked on the corner of the slot and the female part is opened and bent upward- all of the contacts are still together tho.. unfortunately its not mine and he lives kinda far away.. I told him I thought I could fix it by bending it back down but I'm afraid this story could get drastically worse so I'm kind of leaning against it. Thanks for the input- feel free to say "Wow that sucks I've never heard of that happening" to make me feel better :p

2. Eraserhead macrumors G4

Eraserhead

Wow that sucks I've never heard of that happening :p.

Seriously, can you post photos?

3. CanadaRAM macrumors G5

CanadaRAM

OK the big mistake was pushing it laterally after it was down in the horizontal position. This does nothing to seat the contacts in the socket, it just transfers the force to the socket itself, as you found out. Do it with enough gusto and you break the socket.

You have to push the RAM contacts into the socket with moderate pressure while the RAM is *still up on the angle*, not after it is laid down to horizontal.

This is NOT the same as the MacBook and the iMac Intel, which use a straight in slot. These ones (prolly what you read about) take a pretty fair force to seat the contacts into the socket.

It sucks now it's done, but this was a RTFM moment here.

4. Mister9 thread starter macrumors regular

What do you think then?

If all the gold connectors are still entact, should I attempt to push it down and back into place?

I did notice on the back side 3 or 4 of them bowed out, but if I push it down they'll settle back? <--- implying I'm dubious

Ugh, I feel real bad- i'm thinking about telling him I'll swap since we have the same laptop and then buying the Mac Pro desktop with the quad processors this summer... I don't know tho, I'm not sure if I should do something like this because I helped him and the whole good samaritan thing or if I should because it was my fault and I should have never helped him- i dunno. :p more of a moral dilemma than anything (and economical).

5. RedTomato macrumors 68040

RedTomato

Pics would really help yes.

I just upgraded the ram on a MB C2D 2.2 ghz, and yes it was a real bugger to push in. Almost cut my fingers in half. Another MB CD 1.8ghz was actually a bit easier, but I realised it wasn't all the way in when I was just about to close it up.

I've never worked on a MBP, but it looks same as my old PB15. That was pretty easy, and you could do it without much force.

The offical Apple doc on upgrading MBP RAM is pretty clear about when to press hard, and when not to press hard. First hit on Google for "upgrade MBP RAM":

http://docs.info.apple.com/article.html?artnum=303491

You should really read offical docs before doing these things, and not just follow internet and forum gossip. Soz.

6. Paramayuda macrumors newbie

Macbook Pro slot memory

I have problem w my MBP,

I realy bored with my MBP than suddenly would not boot, than i release on memory than my MBP run as well. but if i put back again the memory computer doesnot start.
    I try to change the memory upper and lower but not any response just if i put in upper slot (one slot only) the MBP start normally.

Any help?