Memory Upgrade Help!

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by stickyrikky, Mar 16, 2009.

1. stickyrikky macrumors newbie

Hello, and thanks for reading. So, I have a first generation G5 Power Mac. 1.8 single processor. Bought it I think in '04 when it first came out. It still has only the original 512mb of ram (400 MHz PC3200 DDR SDRAM) installed that it came with. So after 5 years, I'm finally deciding to add some memory to this old beast. I was thinking about buying 8 gb of used RAM off this guy for $100. The RAM he has is DDR2 4200 SDRAM. Two of the 1-gig pieces are from Apple, and other 6 gigs are from crucial.com (off brand, I guess).

My question is... is this memory compatible with the 1.8 single processor? In your opinion, should I make this purchase? I'm trying to run protools 8 on this computer... upgrade to Leopard, work with FCP, etc.. I'm finally starting to really need this memory upgrade. Any input is greatly appreciated! Thank you in advance.

2. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

No, the memory is not compatible. You can use Crucial's memory scanner to find memory that will work with your computer.

3. stickyrikky thread starter macrumors newbie

Thanks for the reply. I actually did check the compatibility at that site before posting this thread, but still wasn't sure because of this Q and A listed on that page:

Q: What memory goes into my computer, and will a faster speed be backward-compatible?

A: DDR memory with support for DDR PC3200 speeds.

Because DDR memory is backward-compatible, you can safely upgrade your system with any of the guaranteed-compatible DDR speeds listed below, even if your manual calls for PC1600 or PC2100 speeds.

I wasn't sure if this applied to me or not. Sorry, I guess I should know more about these kinds of things considering how long I've owned this computer. Anybody want to clear this up for me? :eek:

4. BlueRevolution macrumors 603

BlueRevolution

5. stickyrikky thread starter macrumors newbie