Memory upgrade.... i think my ibook died!

Discussion in 'PowerPC Macs' started by stellaluna, Dec 13, 2008.

1. stellaluna macrumors newbie

Hi, Sorry in advance for the really long post.

My ibook was running really slow, so i decided to get some more memory. i'm no computer expert but i used to work in the IT dept and have replaced memory before (in pc's).
    Anyway, i went to my local computer store, told the guy there what kind of computer i had. (ibook G4, 14-inch with a built-in memory and an empty slot). He looked it up on the system, figured out what i needed and i bought it. It was a Corsair 1GB DDR2 667mhz. He said it was exactly what i needed. I didn't question him.
    Tonight, i go to install it, and it doesn't go in easily. I got it in though, and turned on my computer, and it wouldn't start. i took it out, and it started fine.
    I went to some online forums about installing memory on my specific model and people were saying you really need to force it in there, more than you think would even be safe, but it takes a lot of force to get it in, so i thought maybe it didn't work the first time because it wasn't in all the way. i kept trying, and i got it in further, thinking i did it. i went to turn on the computer, dead.
    So, i took out the memory, and now my computer still won't start. NOTHING.

I went back to the store, told them what happened, and i spoke to a different salesman than yesterday, and when this guy looked at what i bought, he said it was definitely not the correct one.
    He said DDR2 is definitely not compatible with the older iBook. He also said that he looked on his system to find out what type i really need, but the system wouldn't show my model (because its a few years old). Pretty much, he said that the other employee messed up because the computer wouldn't even show him what i would need.

But what i would like to know is what's wrong with my computer exactly? did the mother board fry? did i lose everything? do i need to send it into mac for repair? how screwed am i? and also, is the store responsible for this at all?

The sad part to this story is that in early august of this year, this laptop's battery stopped working, and it was a problem with the power supply. I sent it off to mac and they fixed it, but when it was returned, it wasn't turning on. i sent it back again and they said the motherboard had to be replaced. luckily that happened a month before my extended warranty expired, but this time, i don't have a warranty anymore.

Any insight on my problem? Please someone, cheer me up. Tell me there is something i can do to save my computer and that my motherboard isnt fried again.

Can putting the wrong memory in your computer completely ruin it?

2. HLdan macrumors 603

HLdan

Well, that is correct, DDR2 is definitely the wrong ram. iBook's never used that type of ram. Have you remove the ram and tried booting from the originally installed ram?

3. alphaod macrumors Core

alphaod

No you just need to buy the correct memory; your computer should be fine.

4. RobertD63 macrumors 6502

To me sounds like you applied to much pressure and now the logic bored is fried...:(

5. California macrumors 68040

California

6. skorpien macrumors 68020

Sorry to hear about all of this. It does seem like you'll need to send it in, considering it won't start at all. If I were you, I'd speak to a manager at that computer store and demand they take responsibility for it. Otherwise, it's going to be out of your own pockets unfortunately. Also, for the future, if you visit http://www.crucial.com/ they have a utility on the front page that allows you to choose the make/model of your computer and it will tell you the right RAM needed. I personally wouldn't trust anybody working at just any computer store unless it's Apple certified.

7. California macrumors 68040

California

Yes, it seems your only recourse is to nail the guy who sold you the wrong memory. How could someone be so dumb about an iBook? That's the easiest memory add on conceivable.

He may have confused this with a MacBook. Whatever, they are two totally different machines. How could someone confuse a 14" iBook with a 13.3 inch MacBook?

Insane. Get THEM to get you a new logic board. Or fix it. Try resetting the pram before you do anything else, too.