Memory Upgrade? i7 2.66GHz Macbook Pro

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by spierce7, Apr 22, 2010.

1. spierce7 macrumors newbie

Hey, I just bought a new i7 2.66GHz Macbook Pro, which should be coming in the mail about Monday. I've been thinking that I'd like this computer to last me a while, and what was causing me trouble on my old 2.8 GHz Core 2 Duo, I would often find that while working with Adobe Premiere and/or After Effects, I'd be running out of my 4GB of memory, and it would have big lag issues. So I'm thinking of buying some aftermarket memory and upgrading to 8GB. I have a few questions though:

1. Would it be beneficial for me to buy 1333 mhz memory? I feel like I might have read something somewhere that said that since the system is set at 1066 mhz there is nothing short of hacking into the system that would make it a benefit.
    a. How difficult would it be to hack to 1333 if that is the case?

2. Could I install it myself without voiding the warranty? For some reason now, it seems the 2010 Macbook Pros you can't do the memory change yourself without voiding the warranty. I've built computers before, and can do a simple memory swap, but I'd rather not trigger something where they can tell that I've opened up the machine myself, and not an authorized repair store, and end up voiding my warranty.

3. What would be best/cheapest memory to buy? Are there performance differences between same clocked memory?
    a. Would you recommend something?

Thanks in advance!

~Scott

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

3. Gen macrumors 6502a

Gen

4. harmonica01 macrumors 6502

if you do get 3rd party ram, apple here likes to blame any problems on it though

5. spierce7 thread starter macrumors newbie

I spoke with apple on the phone and they said that with the new model apple computers it does void the warranty. They said not on the old 2009 model though.

In terms of ram performance, what comes into play? I take a look at the new egg link that was shared and I don't know what ram to buy. Is it all the same since its clocked the same? With ram, I respect corsair as a brand but in reality is their ram really worth the extra $$?

One more question while I'm thinking about it. What kind of screw driver do I need to open the mac laptop to change the memory. I can't remember if its a phillips head, or some other weird type that id have to get a specialty tool to take out.

Thanks for you guys responses so far by the way. Very helpful!

6. ok2uselane macrumors newbie

Looks like Apple is going back to their old ways on this... What are they trying to hide from us???

7. spierce7 thread starter macrumors newbie

Another question. Should I worry about the memory's timing? I actually don't know anything about that.

8. SchneiderMan macrumors G3

SchneiderMan

Don't worry Applecare customer service reps don't know ****, upgrade worry free, you only need a small philips screwdriver.. I'll be putting my 8GB in tomorrow :D

9. MrKahuna macrumors newbie

The new "User Guides" even tell you how to add memory. http://support.apple.com/manuals/#macbookpro Look in section 3. It does have the following warning which is probably what any reps are referring to:

WARNING: Apple recommends that you have an Apple-certified technician install replacement drives and memory. Consult the service and support information that came with your computer for information about how to contact Apple for service. If you attempt to install a replacement drive or memory and damage your equipment, such damage is not covered by the limited warranty on your computer.​

10. spierce7 thread starter macrumors newbie

What kind of ram is it? What speed? What timing? Should I be worried about any of these things?

11. spaceballl macrumors 68030

spaceballl

Didn't see this in the users manual./.. what kind of screwdriver do i need for the bottom of the newest macbook pros? Want to do my memory upgrade as soon as it arrives!