memory upgrade in new alubook

Discussion in 'MacBook' started by marmiteturkey, Dec 16, 2008.

1. marmiteturkey macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

My new 2.4 ghz aluminium macbook is now complete - last week I put in a 500gb WD drive, and today my crucial memory upgrade arrived, right on time. I stripped the screw when trying to replace the hard drive - did it when a bit drunk, and didn't have good quality screwdrivers, and had to get an apple genius to take it out for me (which he did, on the spot, free of charge, and giving me a free replacement cradle for the drive).

So I was really nervous about the upgrade - I'd heard that the 8 screws are glued in, and that they were horrid to get out, plus they're even smaller than the drive screws - and I'm a bit cack-handed at the best of times.

Got myself some half-decent screwdrivers, and all eight came out really easily, with a minimum of pressure - not a single slip, and there was no glue. Memory snapped straight out, new memory went right in, without any of the extreme force that some have implied is necessary. Don't know what I was worried about, which means I'm more confident again, and therefore will almost certainly strip the next screw I go near. Not that I'll be buying a new laptop for a few years now - love this machine to bits, and it's better than ever - time machine, safari, mail, parallels, flock, adium, and a dvd playing without a stutter...

I'm writing this for those who are worried - use a 000 screwdriver and you're laughing. Crucial memory is working fine for me at the moment, with none of the problems mentioned from some other brands. The WD drive is not clicking - only issue I have is a slightly loose battery door, like many others have - not a big issue...

2. shoppy macrumors 6502a

Congratulations, I just got my new 2.4 macbook today and brought 4 gigs of ram from apple. They let me keep my old ram which is a bonus. I am just waiting for my samsung 500gb HDD to arrive and then I'll have my perfect set up to go with my new 24" screen when it arrives.

3. cogsinister macrumors 6502a

How nice of Apple to let you keep YOUR ram !!!!

4. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

So no crashes due to the ram? Are you using 10.5.6?

I still don't think there has been a definitive answer on whether or not 10.5.6 fixed the ram issue.

5. SBG macrumors newbie

Where did you guys buy your 500gb hard drives ?

6. MacFly69 macrumors regular

lookin' to upgrade my RAM as well.

when you ordered your RAM from Crucial, did you order just one 2GB stick or did you have to order 2 x 2GB sticks?

lastly, can you kindly link me to the exactly memory you purchased from Crucial?

thanks!

7. ubercool macrumors 6502a

ubercool

Everything you need to know about upgrading your memory, including photos and links are in the first post of this thread: http://forums.macrumors.com/showthread.php?t=582230.

8. shoppy macrumors 6502a

I got my samsung 500gb from pixmania uk, for £96.5 inc. delivery and a usb caddy.

9. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

10. fuzzycuffs macrumors member

fuzzycuffs

Tell us if it works without crashes off the bat.

11. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

ok 4gb time,

out with the old in with the new, all seems good, no issues, but i have literally just booted it back up,

cos i play WoW my page outs were in the gb's, lets see what difference this makes!!

12. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

UPDATE:

been running fine for 4 hrs now, no issues whatsoever,

been playing WoW, whilst having safari, mail, address book, itunes, ichat, and even sparked up a VMWare XP machine with 512mb ram, all fine, and fast!!

I have paged out tho, all 296k of it.

Laptop appears to be cooler and quieter since the ram went in when in WoW.

All I have to do now is get my sodding fan fixed and im ready to wait for the next wave of SSD's to arrive

13. shady825 macrumors 68000

shady825

I plan on doing exactly what you did. 4GB RAM & 500GB hard drive. Im looking forward too it!

14. Carnivor macrumors regular

Carnivor

well, nrlly 24hrs have past and not one issue. its been to sleep many times and almost every app is open that i have needed to open, its great!!

280mb of page outs now, compared to the 4gb+ i had normally after a day after rebooting..

I've noticed warcraft is really slick now and i can up the gfx to the higher res textures and not notice performance loss like before, im loosely assuming that down to the sharing the ram with gfx ram, ( does gfx ram get paged too?? i'd assume not but...)

All's sweet

15. marmiteturkey thread starter macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

you have to order 2x2gb sticks - the two slots are taken up with 2x1gb sticks.

As for the memory type, click the mac tab at the top, then macbook, then look for the 2.4 model that mentions ddr3.

Absolutely no crashes - uptime of 4 days without a restart (excepting 10.5.6), running parallels, backing up overnight to time capsule etc. I'm pretty happy that I don't have a problem.

I got my HD from ebay, to be honest - cost about £85, and I stuffed the 250gb into a usb case.

16. marmiteturkey thread starter macrumors 6502

marmiteturkey

Do it do it do it! I can recommend the WD disk and the crucial ram - no problems at all so far, nice and cool, plenty zippy (definitely less beachballs, and I now have my 250gb+ media library stored locally instead of on the time capsule).