Memory upgrade in-store possible?

Discussion in 'Buying Tips and Advice' started by DoS, Aug 23, 2009.

1. DoS macrumors newbie

Hi, I am going on a trip to New York in the end of the year and I'd like to buy the best Mac mini possible in terms of performance.

Unfortunately because of the little time I'll stay there, it would be too risky to order online and try to get them to deliver at the hotel and risk losing the package, so I'll buy it in the Apple Store.

I don't care about the big hard drive, so I plan to buy the $599 one and upgrade the memory to 4GB.

As I was reading I found that Apple Stores do memory upgrades in-store at the time of purchase, or at least they did. I only found people claiming they did in old posts, that's why I'm asking for more current information. Does anyone know if they still do it?

By the way, there's no chance to get one of those 2.26GHz in a store, is there?

Thanks for the attention

2. jaredwaynef macrumors member

As of last week when I last went to the store, they still do upgrades of RAM in any of the computers. Also, they should be carrying all of the processors of each Mac Model. To my knowledge, they carry all versions (in terms of processors) of each Mac (mini, iMac,MBP, etc) and they still upgrade RAM. I hope this helps.

3. old-wiz macrumors G3

They do not upgrade processors in store. Some of them are soldered to the motherboard. In-store will upgrade memory or HD only.

4. jaredwaynef macrumors member

I wasn't saying they upgrade processors there (sorry if that's how it sounded). I was saying that they might (but not always) sell all of the different types of a certain kind (i.e. the 2.0 Ghz Mac Mini and the 2.26 Ghz Mac Mini). So sorry for the confusion there.