Memory Upgrade - Keep or Sell the old RAM sticks?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by SteelBlueTJ, May 7, 2013.

1. SteelBlueTJ macrumors 6502

Just wondering if it is wise to keep the original 3GB sticks that came in my MAc Pro 5,1? I have since upgraded it to 16GB and now the original 3x1GB sticks are just sitting around. I hate clutter and hanging onto stuff I'm not using when I could sell it for a few bucks, even though it might not be much. What do you guys do with old RAM? Keep or Sell?

2. hfg macrumors 68040

hfg

There may not be much of a market for them since they are somewhat "entry level" and everyone else already has them as well. You could check eBay "sold" listings to see what you might get for them ... and if it is worth it to you.

One consideration: if you take your Mac Pro in for service, they will complain about having non-oem memory installed. Having the old RAM to reinstall prior to service not only confirms for you that the problems aren't RAM related, but eliminates the technician hassle over the user installed parts.

-howard

3. Bear macrumors G3

To clarify - they may complain. however since memory is user upgradeable, they may not. Having said that... Having spare memory to test in case something goes wrong can help to either point to bad memory or eliminate memory as the issue.

And I doubt you'll get much for the old memory.

4. DanielCoffey macrumors 65816

DanielCoffey

I kept my Apple 3x1Gb when I upgraded to 3x4Gb and stored it in the OEM packaging simply for testing purposes and to be able to include as and when I finally sell the machine.

Being able to say original Apple RAM included free as well as all original Mac Pro packaging may help a potential sale.

5. crjackson2134 macrumors 68020

crjackson2134

I think I would keep them if I were you. Spare "Known Good" RAM can be a life saver when trouble shooting hardware problems.