memory upgrade me089xx please-

Discussion in 'iMac' started by rogerbottrell, Oct 12, 2014.

1. rogerbottrell macrumors member

newbie here, what where and how and how much to max out memory-- apple or online any thing special about? how much approx? and lastly should i try and get someone to do it or do it myself.--truthfully i have very large and clumsy hands and fingers!-
    thank you

2. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

ME089LL/A is the newest 27" and you can easily replace the memory yourself. It comes with 8GB, so I assume you're wanting to go to 16GB? This Crucial kit from Amazon for $136 will work for you.

Here are installation instructions from Apple. It is very easy.

That said, why do you think you need more memory? You might not. Start the machine then use it for a while like you normally do then check the memory pressure as described here. If the memory pressure is in the green, you are not likely to benefit from adding memory.

3. rogerbottrell thread starter macrumors member

thank you very much. most stuff i have read say to max it out????--so that is where that comes from- however i will chase it some. and thank you for your trouble i find that the advice i get on this forum is much more attuned than apple support etc.

4. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Nah... if that memory pressure is in the green you will not likely see any benefit and are just throwing away money. Plus, that is an expensive memory upgrade. :mad: