Memory Upgrade -Placement

Discussion in 'iMac' started by Monkey194545, Nov 18, 2010.

1. Monkey194545 macrumors member

Hello all,
    I was lucky enough to purchase a 21.5 3.3 i3 imac over the weekend :) The first thing I did was order additional ram from Newegg on Monday. I ordered 2 x4gb sticks of g skill memory (ps its cheaper if you buy the stick separate than together). So now I will have a total of 12 gigs.

I have a question on what slots to use now. Should I just add the two 4gb sticks in the empty slots or should I put them in the slots currently taken by the original ram and move the old ones back? I read before that it would run faster using the second way. Is that true?
    Also, I read that with mac pros, 3 sticks actually run faster than 4 because it will drop to dual channel with 4 sticks as opposed to triple channel with three. Is that the same with the imac.

Thanks!

2. Poob Bubes macrumors 6502a

Poob Bubes

Yes, you should put the new sticks where the current ones are. It might not be a discernible difference in speed, but I would do it anyway.

3. iDutchman macrumors 6502a

Why would you?

I also upgraded the RAM of my Imac 27". I left the 2x 2GB sticks where they were and just added 2 x 4GB sticks to the slots below. Is there any speed difference? Shall I take 'em out and do it differently?:D

4. Bobbytoad macrumors member

Bobbytoad

i'm on a tight budget, is it ok to Just add one single addittional 4gb stick (with the 2x2gb already installed - to make 8gb total) does it matter which slot do i put the new 4gb one in?

5. unkn0wnsoldier macrumors regular

unkn0wnsoldier

I have 2 x 1gb sticks that came out of my MBP. Can I add those to my new imac?