Memory Upgrade: What Brand

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by jw3571, Dec 6, 2010.

1. jw3571 macrumors regular

I see that OWC is really cheap right now. Do people have problems with this RAM? Is there another brand that would be better? Is 8gb overkill you're just eding photos in iphoto, imovie, internet, light gaming, ms office?

2. Neolithium macrumors 6502a

Neolithium

8GB would probably be overkill for what you described. That being said OWC memory is well liked around the forums, I don't personally use it cause I don't live in the US and the cross-border fees like to bend you over a table - so I use Mushkin and am quite happy with their reliability.

3. rkaufmann87 macrumors 68000

rkaufmann87

Actually the previous poster isn't correct, you would see a nice performance jump. OWC as a company is very highly regarded in Mac communities, the specialize in Macs, have great service, prices, and they're stuff just works. Buy from them with confidence.

4. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Honestly, a nice SSD would probably be about the same cost as the RAM upgrade, but will bring a much more noticeable performance increase.

If you're worried about too little hard drive space, you might want to look into something like the Optibay. It lets you replace the DVD drive with a regular 2.5'' SATA hard drive.

My Macbook Pro i7 has an 80 GB SSD and its original 500 GB hard drive in the optibay. I keep my home folder on the 500 GB drive and all of my apps (and the OS) on the SSD. It's a great combination of speed and storage space.

Here's a pretty good price on the SSD ($179):
    http://www.newegg.com/Product/Produ...167031&cm_re=intel_ssd-_-20-167-031-_-Product

I can't remember the brand of the optibay-type device I got, but it cost me about $40. No need to spend more for the Optibay brand, if you can find a good alternative.

Admittedly, this isn't for everyone, especially those that aren't really comfortable working inside their computers. For your needs, 8 GB of RAM probably wouldn't make a huge difference. I have 4 GB and I almost never run up agains the limit, even though I'm a pretty heavy user - CS5, XCode, Safari tabs, iTunes, etc. Even if I start to use a bit of the swap, the SSD is so fast that I don't really notice.

Anyway, it's your money. Do what you feel is best.

5. Stvwndr219 macrumors 6502

Depends on what he's doing as well...

If he likes to keep a lot of apps open, then that kind of displaces the SSD in terms of application load up time... and for most users a 500GB vs. SSD isn't too different except in terms of boot up time and when you want to launch/load things fast - which isn't too different from the 500GB. Just my opinion.

6. CW Jones macrumors 6502

7. dmk1974 macrumors 68000

dmk1974

I've had nothing but flawless experience on both Mac and PC using Crucial/Micron RAM.

8. aimbdd macrumors 6502a

I have owc in my mid 2010 right now and its fine. Had it in my last laptop too.

9. csnplt macrumors 6502

csnplt

Good point.

10. phas3 macrumors 65816

as far as companies go, I would go with G.Skill, Crucial or Mushkin just make sure its dd3 1066 ram.

11. duk macrumors regular

picked up a $69 crucial 4gb kit local at microcenter for my late 08 mbp. No problems at all, really nice upgrade wish I had done it sooner.

12. phas3 macrumors 65816

is this deal still going? I've got an MC about 45 minutes from my place.

13. duk macrumors regular

Still 69.99 on microcenters website.

14. jsilas macrumors regular

15. deeddawg macrumors 604

Given that G.Skill is $100 delivered from Newegg, not really a good price. http://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16820231294

I picked up this Crucial RAM for $90 when JR had a deal at $100 less $10 coupon. Shows same specs as your link but different part #. Crucial is a solid brand. http://www.jr.com/crucial/pe/CRT_8G51264BCK#productTabDetails