Memory Upgrade

Discussion in 'iMac' started by dammagededdie, Jul 15, 2012.

1. dammagededdie macrumors newbie

Jul 3, 2012
    Hey guys, I have the base model 2.5 GHz iMac, mid 2011 issue. I want to upgrade the memory, what do you guys suggest. I know it has 4GB and, if I'm correct, can only upgrade to 8GB. Where do you suggest I buy?

Also, is it possible to upgrade the hard drive? Would it be difficult? Anyone have suggestions on that?
  2. Fuith macrumors member

May 5, 2011
    Tralee, Co. Kerry, Ireland
    It has four slots and can take up to 32GB of RAM. I got two sticks of four from crucial ( and put them in with the stock 4GB, boosting it up to 12GB. And the thing flies :)
  3. joe-h2o macrumors 6502a

Jun 24, 2012
    As the guy above says, the best value upgrade is a pair of 4's from Crucial or similar to add to what you already have. The jump to the 8 GB sticks is quite a bit.

If you wanted more than 12 GB (your current 4 GB plus 2x 4 GB sticks) then you could buy 4x 4 GB sticks and remove the ones you currently have in there.
  4. user418 macrumors 6502a

Aug 22, 2010
    I maxed mine out with 4 x 4GB modules for a total of 16GB. System runs fast and smooth. Probably will never use the full 16GB but found a great deal on the RAM that I couldn't pass up.