Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Spick34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I have a 13 in mid 2012 MBP. 2.5 GHz Intel Core i5. 4 GB 1600 MHz DDR
I would like to upgrade the memory. It appears to be a pretty easy process. So I'm looking for advice on where to get the memory. Or any other details that would be helpful. It appears that I can upgrade to a max of 8 GB, but I'm not sure about that either. Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thanks

Nov 28, 2010
located
16 GB of 204-pin DDR3 SO-DIMM RAM is the unofficial maximum and Amazon and Newegg are good places to get Crucial or Corsair or G.Skill RAM.

Spick34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
Thanks for the help. I think I will start with 8GB and see how that goes. Have also considered upgrading the hard drive, but think I will start here.

Spick34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
I successfully upgraded my ram. Now thinking about upgrading the hard drive. Any advice on a hard drive? The ifixit website sells. 1 TB seagate SSD hybrid that I've looked at. But I'm not sure if that is my best option. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

yjchua95

macrumors 604
Apr 23, 2011
GVA, KUL, MEL (current), ZQN
I successfully upgraded my ram. Now thinking about upgrading the hard drive. Any advice on a hard drive? The ifixit website sells. 1 TB seagate SSD hybrid that I've looked at. But I'm not sure if that is my best option. Any advice would be greatly appreciate. Thanks

Hybrids are never a long term solution.

I'd suggest a Samsung 840 Evo.

ChrisA

macrumors G5
Jan 5, 2006
Redondo Beach, California

What do you do with the Macbook? If it is just web browsing and email then the hybrid drive will work well. Bt it you have lots of data you are editing then no, you'd need a real SSD.

What is it you want to speed up?

Spick34

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Aug 2, 2014
My current 500 gb hd is half full. I love my computer but my only complaint is that at times it is slow when I wake it up. That is part of the reason I was considering an upgrade. Beyond the typical email and web browsing, I edit some pics, and put together short video clips for a website. I also teach online classes. For that I do a lot of work with word, excel, and power points.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.