Memory Upgrade?

Discussion in 'macOS' started by djnardu, Oct 18, 2007.

1. djnardu macrumors regular

djnardu

Right now im running 1 gig of DDR2 667MHz ram on my iMac core duo 1.8 Ghz, I haven't had any performance problems yet.

Do you recommend say an upgrade to 1.5 mb for leopard?

2. xUKHCx Administrator emeritus

xUKHCx

i'd wait and nee how well the system runs with leopard before making that decision.

3. AutumnSkyline macrumors regular

AutumnSkyline

I got my white C2D iMac last November (yay!!! He's almost a year old :D) and in June I ordered 1GB stick. I didn't notice much of a difference superficially, but in activity monitor I noticed a huge difference, there are virtually no page outs after working for 3 hours on my baby! I plan on upgrading with a 2GB stick ($91 O_O damn thats cheap) from OWC when I get Leopard. I really want the best experience I can get with Leopard, and if you can afford it, I would say get the max (2GB?) in your machine.

4. jamesarm97 macrumors 65816

I just ordered 1gb for the first gen mac mini in prep or leopard. It is currently only running on 512mb and gets a little sluggish. At the same time I ordered a 2gig stick to replace one of my 1gig sticks in my c2d mackbook pro.

- James

5. mc68k macrumors 68000

mc68k

it depends on what apps ur running and how many you need open at once. you can never have too much memory either.

photoshop can be a big hog, any webbrowser with multiple tabs open can be a hog, any professional app tends to be a big hog. you can go to activity monitor in Applications -> Utilities then open up what you typically use and see how much physical memory is free. if you have 100MB or less free memory then upgrade should be well worth it

6. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

About 300mb of "Free" memory left

how does this compare with inactive memory?

*edit*
    I opened about every app on my dock.

iChat,MSN,Safari,Firefox,iTunes,iPhoto,iMovie,PhotoBooth,Quicktime,Mac the ripper,GarageBand, and Activity Monitor. I had about 12mb left =P

7. onebloodonelife macrumors regular

You can essentially count inactive memory as free memory. It's been recently used, but if another app needs it, the system will free it up and use it.

8. djnardu thread starter macrumors regular

djnardu

With my *usual* apps open I have about 700mb "free and inactive" memory