Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

fred44

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Apr 18, 2008
San Francisco
I'm ready to convert VHS tapes into digital format and into iMovie (using DV camcorder as passthrough)

1. Will I have enough memory to do approx. 6 hours of tapes for subsequent editing?

2. How much of that can fit on one DVD?

About this Mac: 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.

Thanks!

huntercr

macrumors 65816
Jun 6, 2006
I'm ready to convert VHS tapes into digital format and into iMovie (using DV camcorder as passthrough)

1. Will I have enough memory to do approx. 6 hours of tapes for subsequent editing?

2. How much of that can fit on one DVD?

About this Mac: 2GB 667 Mhz DDR2 SDRAM.

Thanks!

1) You have plenty of memory. Disk space is what you need. 12.96GB per hour... 6 hours of DV is going to be 77.76GB just to hold the video. You'll need at least double that to edit...more likely a little less than 3 times the space, IMHO. So if you have around 230GB of harddrive space free, you're good to go! If you don't have that much, I suggest you edit each tape one at a time. It's alot more manageable that way anyway. I don't know what iMovie's limits are, but I wouldn't push it. Since your output medium is DVD, I STRONGLY suggest using iMovie HD ( 06 ) instead of iMovie 08. You will have a huge amount of trouble doing what you want to do in 08.
( assuming you are going to use iDVD to author it )

2) Depends on how much you want to compress it. If you have a Double layer burner, you can easily fit 4 hours on there. if you want to fit all 6 hours, you may have to sacrifice quality. This may not be a huge problem since you're taking it from a VHS source. Be prepared for this kind of expirimentation to take a LONG LONG time. Unless it's really important to fit all 6 hours on 1 DVD, you might just consider splitting it into 2 DVDs of 3 hours each.

Good luck!

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.