Memory usage sucks on my i4

Discussion in 'iPhone' started by mrjayd, Jun 27, 2010.

1. mrjayd macrumors regular

I have to reboot my phone every day sometimes twice just to keep the memory up. After a reboot I am at about 350-360M free and by the end of the day it is down to about 50M. Is this normal? What are all of you getting?

2. rywat macrumors member

Wirelessly posted (iPhone 3gs: Mozilla/5.0 (iPhone; U; CPU iPhone OS 4_0 like Mac OS X; en-us) AppleWebKit/532.9 (KHTML, like Gecko) Version/4.0.5 Mobile/8A293 Safari/6531.22.7)

A couple questions for you:

Did you jailbreak the phone?

Are you noticing any performance issues due to the decrease in available RAM?

Most likely it's safari keeping the tabs up that's using up the memory.

3. camarobh macrumors 6502

Why are you worried about available memory? This isn't a windows phone. Just use it and it will take care of itself.

4. MisterDisney macrumors 6502a

I'm not having to do this, because unlike the OP, I actually own and use an iPhone 4.

5. sanders4617 macrumors member

How do you tell how much memory is available?

6. diabolic macrumors 68000

What apps are you running? I haven't had to reboot mine yet.

7. rdowns macrumors Penryn

rdowns

Why can't people just use their gadgets without looking for a fault at every turn? It's so sad.

8. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

Exactly. It s not a windows phone so I shouldn't have to do this. And how will it take care of itself? Its not going to free up memory on it's own.

9. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

Bite me. I have had every iPhone since day 1.

10. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

I have that Memory Free app that has a button to "free memory" but it doesn't work now in iOS4 so I have to keep rebooting.

11. diabolic macrumors 68000

Actually, it does.

12. nikhsub1 macrumors 68020

nikhsub1

I have gone weeks without rebooting, are you getting low memory errors or something?

13. brentsg macrumors 68040

Again, why are you worried about your memory usage? You should be glad it's being utilized and not sitting around doing nothing.

Unix based systems manage memory well so you don't need to do anything. Now if you did a jailbreak then you might need to worry about apps with memory leaks.

14. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Just because the memory isn't free, doesn't mean its not available for use.

15. Anticlockwork macrumors newbie

iOS4 as well as its predecessors are OSX based. OSX does work like windows. It fills its available memory up and unloads as its needed else ware. Having 50 megs left seems perfectly normal and as long as your not suffering from performance issues (not perceived performance issues) you shouldn't worry. Use it and enjoy it.

16. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

I guess I just don't understand how the memory is utilized then in the phones. Why add another 256M of RAM in the i4 over the 3Gs then. My 3Gs used to always not get down past 80 or 90 and I am running the same apps on my new phone.

17. grapes911 Moderator emeritus

grapes911

Because now that multitasking has been added, more apps can be opened at once before the phone needs to close one to make room for a new one.

18. mrjayd thread starter macrumors regular

Well as of now none of my apps have MT support yet. Sure they are down in the system tray when I double click, but none are still running because every time I try to access them from down there they all still start up from the beginning again. So far I am getting NO MT from this phone with the exception of my music apps.

19. JohngPR macrumors newbie

Are you experiencing any slow down or chugging while using your phone? If not, then why bother worrying about it?

20. tadad1 macrumors 6502a

tadad1

I never understand this obsession of wanting the most free RAM possible, RAM is of absolutely no value unless it is being used. As long as it is being managed properly by the OS and made available when necessary you will not see any performance issues. In reality if you constantly purge it so you always have 256MB free then you are basically defeating the purpose of having 512MB of ram and your iPhone 4 will be under-performing and end up running no better than a 3GS.

21. Figbash Acrobat macrumors 6502a

Figbash Acrobat

Yup.
    C'mon though...you're a Demi-God, rdowns. You know that's not how it works here on the forums, especially this time of year. :rolleyes: *nudge*

22. FMLFMLFML macrumors member

you are basing this on an app that you say doesnt work?

The memory free app hasnt been updated for iOS4 yet. You have a lot more memory than you think

23. rcopus macrumors newbie

Some of the standard iOS apps are multitasking for starters. I really don't understand why you're worry about free memory...

24. MikePA macrumors 68020

MikePA

Then what made you think rebooting the phone was a good idea?

25. RealSkyDiver macrumors 6502

The OP strikes me as a dramaqueen since theres absolutely no use for this thread. You never got an error message and your phone never slowed down so wtf dude???