Memory Usage

Discussion in 'OS X Yosemite (10.10)' started by seth556, Sep 28, 2014.

1. seth556 macrumors member

I have 4gb of ram on my Mac Mini and the past few days it Yosemite seems to be using more memory than ever. Anyone else experiencing this?

Attached Files:

2. Shawzborne macrumors 6502a

Shawzborne

It's designed that way it allocates the ram to allow it to run more efficiently

3. seth556 thread starter macrumors member

It's slow typing this message. I finished typing that sentence and it was just starting to display the t in typing. So I don't think it's very efficient right now.

4. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

How does the CPU usage look? Is it better after a reboot?

5. seth556 thread starter macrumors member

It's a little better after a reboot but still gets bad. CPU usage seems normal.

Attached Files:

6. Altemose macrumors G3

Altemose

Since this is a new problem, I think we should ask if it is limited to Safari or is system wide.

7. nutmac macrumors 68040

GM hasn't improved memory usage much, if at all.

If you consistently run more than a handful of apps and/or have many tabs open, you better have 8GB or more to run Yosemite comfortably.

8. anupash macrumors newbie

memory usage in yosemite is too high.. without any apps open i quickly reach 330 mb of compressed memory and I have 8 GB RAM...

9. iLog.Genius macrumors 601

iLog.Genius

Using iMessage, Safari, Outlook, Excel other productivity tools for work, I"m sitting at 6.5GB free RAM (840MB used).

10. cookies! macrumors 6502

isn't OS X supposed to use all of the RAM available and then apportion it between active applications as needed? that's how it's been since at least 10.6 for me (when I first moved to Mac). I've always had 8-16GB and all of it is always 'used' within an hour of boot

11. ABC5S macrumors 68040

ABC5S

What he ^ said...

Your still in the green. Look up Mavericks and Yosemite memory management doing a google search. It will explain this. Its normal now...This question has been posted a number of times