Memory utility won't go away

Discussion in 'macOS' started by dryjoy, Jan 24, 2010.

1. dryjoy macrumors regular

I have searched the forum but could not find a thread containing the answer to my question.

I have installed some extra ram in my Mac Pro. The first time I booted after putting the ram in, memory utility told me that the new ram was in the wrong slot, so I powered down and swapped it round.

When I next booted, memory utility told me that the ram was now installed correctly, but it now pops up and tells me that every time I boot.

Not a big deal I know, but how can I stop it appearing after each boot?

Cheers

2. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

3. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

When you install new ram on a Mac (at least on a Mac Pro anyway) an application called 'Memory Utility' launches when you next boot, to either tell you that you have installed the memory correctly or that it is not installed correctly.

[​IMG]

As far as I can see, it is supposed to go away after it's told you the ram is installed correctly.

4. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

Oh, I see.

It won't go away because you are skipping a slot, move the chip from Slot 8 to Slot 5 and it should appear once more and go away.

It is telling you that you have it set up wrong.

5. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks, but that's not my screen shot actually, just used it to illustrate what memory utility is.

It's now telling me that I have installed the ram correctly, but it's telling me that every time I boot up, and now that we have established that the memory is installed correctly, I want it to disappear.

6. r.j.s Moderator emeritus

r.j.s

My bad.

Not sure then ...

You could try resetting PRAM ... Hold Command+Option+P+R on boot.

7. dryjoy thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks for the idea.

I have tried a PRAM reset, but no joy, Memory Utility still comes up telling me that the RAM is installed correctly every time I boot.

8. bkomanet macrumors newbie

I fixed the Problem on my System!

After reading many posts about people having this problem, I decided to try a crack at this to see if I could fix it.

1) I enabled root access on my Mac (OSx Lion)
    http://support.apple.com/kb/ht1528

2) I logged off of my Admin account, logged in with root (click Other when login window appears and type root and the password you assigned). I got the memory is installed in the correct slots message, as usual.

3) I logged out of Root and logged back in with my usual admin ID. The message did NOT appear.

4) I shut down the system (powered it off), powered it back on, logged into my normal admin account (the one that was always getting the message), and like magic - No more memory message.

5) I went back in and disabled root (the opposite of enabling it in step #1) after the restart.

I did NOT have to fix permissions or reset anything. But, it seems that there must be some sort of permission thing going on if log gin in with Root fixed the problem.

I hope this helps others - this can be very irritating.