Memory!? We doan need no stinkin' memory!

Discussion in 'iPad' started by doodude, Aug 9, 2010.

1. doodude macrumors regular

doodude

Do you use an app to free your memory or do you just reboot?

If you do use an app to free that memory, Which app?

2. diabolic macrumors 68000

What apps are you running? I have rebooted my iPad less than 10 times since I got it on launch day. It stays on all the time. I haven't encountered any memory problems.

3. doodude thread starter macrumors regular

doodude

I dont run anything unusual. Some games, iPod, Safari etc.

Im not having major memory problems ( I dont think ) but the memory goes down to 70-80 mb & while I can just reboot if I need the memory it will eventually build up on its own.

Im just curious if anyone else uses these apps & which ones they might be...

4. saberahul macrumors 68040

Same here. This isn't a BlackBerry that you need apps to free up memory and re-boot every 4 hours. I got mine a month ago and re-booted only once which was during a restore.

5. doodude thread starter macrumors regular

doodude

Maybe my terminology is wrong here. Im not talking about a full system reboot.
    Ive rarely done one of those myself.

If Im going to play a game or do anything that may be memory intensive, then I like to free my memory.
    As a JB iPad I have the free memory available showing at top with the time & date. If its under 100mb I prefer to free what I can.
    So does anyone use apps to free memory or close programs in order to free memory?

6. saberahul macrumors 68040

Okay you didn't mention it was JB. I'm assuming you're speaking in terms of backgrounder? If that is the case, then to free the memory I would close all the apps that you do not need. I have gone with more than 10 apps open and never noticed any speed difference in the processing speed. I am not aware of any programs that allow you to free up memory however few may exist which others maybe able to point out.
    Having own a BlackBerry Smartphone which is far worse than any Apple product, I can safely say that unless you hit below 20MB in RAM, you're fine and shouldn't notice a speed difference.

7. iThinman macrumors regular

I want more memory. I don't care if I don't need or use it, I'm American and I want it.

Seriously though, 256? Comeon. Anyone saying that is enough is justifying. It's 2010. They could have easily had it at 512 to begin with at minimal, if any , cost to bottom line or battery consumption.

I haven't done the page file hack, but probably will soon to test it's performance with the apps I need to multitask. I basically want to have Pandora or MLB running, Jump, and still be able to hit the web for 3 pages or so without those shutting down.

It just about does it as-is, but not quite.

8. WilliamG macrumors 604

Under 100? lol that's pretty much anytime you open any program. I rarely have more than 60mb free. Pages constantly reload in Safari etc. Drives me bananas.

9. doodude thread starter macrumors regular

doodude

OK, sorry I didn't make myself very clear, my bad...

As a JB iPhone 3G user Ive always had issues with not enough memory causing the unit to stall or respring due to the lack of available RAM.

I suppose when I see the iPad begin to lose 1/2 or more of the available RAM as I open programs I start getting kinda 'jicky' & I feel the need to 'fix it' before it stalls.

So Ive been using these apps like 'Memory Info' to just close apps & free up the RAM.
    It seems to do the job. But is it only doing the same thing I could do if I just turned off the iPad for a minute & turned it back on?

10. bowlerman625 macrumors 68020

bowlerman625

Same for me.

11. PhelpsiPhan macrumors 6502

PhelpsiPhan

I havnt noticed any memory issues with my iPad, but if you do, i think rebooting is the best way to clear it up, always helped with my iPhone 3g :)

12. tonyt3rry macrumors member

I've had a few app crashes but nothing major just a simple reboot Evan tho ain't needed. It's nothing comared to my 3G lol that is a lag machine

13. Zazoh macrumors 6502a

Zazoh

I think your issue is you JB the device. I've used since launch day, have rebooted only a handful of times and have Never had memory problems.

14. MRU macrumors demi-god

MRU

So you feel you need to fix an issue before it exist's and here in lies your theological struggle as you question whether the problem would have even existed ?

Chicken or Egg ? Chicken or Egg ? And why does Chewbacca live on Endor ? It makes no sense.....

15. grapemac macrumors regular

Dude, just ****ing use the thing and get on with your life.

16. damnyooneek macrumors 6502

YOU WANT? YOU PAY. BUY OR GO...