Memory

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by AxoNeuron, Oct 27, 2015.

1. AxoNeuron macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Does Apple really not offer a SINGLE laptop with the option to get more than 16GB of RAM? How hard could this possibly be for them? A lot of professionals need a mobile computer to have more than 16GB, has Apple simply abandoned this market?

Seriously? They'll sell you a $3,000+ laptop with no option for more RAM. Wow.

Do any MacBooks have even the option for the user to upgrade the RAM themselves, asides from the ancient 13" macbook pro, of course?

2. CoastalOR macrumors 68000

CoastalOR

No Apple laptops can handle more that 16 Gb of RAM.

3. T5BRICK macrumors 604

T5BRICK

I'm guessing Apple thinks if you need that much memory, you ought to be using a desktop not a laptop.

It'll probably be an option on the next rMBP.

Nope. Apple doesn't sell a portable with upgradeable RAM. Well, aside from the non-retina model you've already mentioned.

The memory controller in the CPU is perfectly capable of addressing 32GB of RAM. Apple just doesn't offer the option.

4. redheeler macrumors 603

redheeler

All recent Apple laptops have two slots (or the soldered equivalent) that can take a maximum of 16 GB RAM. Retina MacBook Pro/MacBook and MacBook Air all have soldered RAM.

5. Meister Suspended

Meister

No, they don't.

You seem to think that everyone has your profession.

6. AxoNeuron thread starter macrumors 65816

AxoNeuron

Umm....no...in fact I don't think that at all. Most people don't need 8GB for that matter. But Apple has served the professional community quite well until recently.

Please, don't tell me what your misinterpretations of my thoughts are.

7. simonsi macrumors 601

simonsi

Out of interest, what profession - given even 16GB hasn't been available for that long?

TBH it would surely start a Ram/CPU/Heat/Fan/Battery upgrade cycle so the resulting machines would need tethering to mains in any case when they hit the battery limit...

8. Meister Suspended

Meister

what is this "professional community"?

9. Samuelsan2001 macrumors 603

And they still do for most "professionals" (whatever that means) what you are really saying is they don't provide a mobile computer for your specific use case, that is fine buy something else you don't have to use apples computers there are plenty out there that will take 32GB of RAM.