MemoryToGo RAM - thoughts?

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by fairnymph, Oct 16, 2007.

1. fairnymph macrumors 6502

fairnymph

I want to buy the 4 GB kit:

http://www.memorytogo.com/comp_mode...Quad+Xeon+2.66GHz+~mid~99591280~src=rmskr.htm

$212 is so ridiculously cheap! It makes me a bit suspicious, so is there anything I should be worried about here?

Has anyone bought from them before?

It's to upgrade my mac pro 3.0, but 2.66 and 3.0 take the same RAM, so that shouldn't be a problem...right?

Photoshop's been lagging crazily, below 30% efficiency etc.

Thanks for any feedback. :)

2. jolton macrumors member

I just ordered 8 gigs of Mac Pro ram through Omnitechnologies.biz

Ended up paying around $450 for it. Shipping time was pretty awesome, and so far memory has been rock solid.

Do a search on the forums to get some reviews of places and brands. A lot of places (like even Omni I mention above) can be hit or miss with quality/service times.

3. deathshrub macrumors 6502

Hi jolton, I'm looking to buy a mac pro mid-November and so far this website has the cheapest ram I've found. I will probably buy 4 x 2 GB sticks, but I'm just wondering if the ram is still performing nicely? if you have had to return any modules, how has that process gone?

Also, are the heat sinks on the ram modules the same heat sinks that were on the apple ram? Are they slightly different? Really any information you can give me would be very appreciated.

4. digiegg macrumors regular

I ordered 2GB of RAM long time ago for 200 bucks.
    The prices went down alot but yeah... not satisfied w/ their product and they have a really slow customer service center.

I got only two sticks = 1GB of RAM. The sticker said it's 1GB each but the computer said it's only 1GB.
    Pretty lame... I sent them a email and they haven't replied back in like 3 weeks.
    I'm going to be calling them soon.

5. fairnymph thread starter macrumors 6502

fairnymph

Glad I didn't go with them, ended up getting 2GB as 1GB sticks from Omni and so far, very happy! Super fast shipping and great customer service.

6. djkirsten macrumors regular

i dont know bout these guys.....

i bought the 4 gb kit (2x 2 gb) and as of now im running my oem 1 gig from apple cause one 2 gig sticks keeps kernel panicking. I called to talk to someone and someone just hurried me off the phone and said "send it in with a brief reason for exchange or return and we'll get back to you". It seemed like they weren't really interested in hearing my problem (and i got the idea they wouldn't have the slightest idea of what needed to happen to fix the problem).

if i could do it again id go from a different company.

i'll probably have an update when i send in my memory, and again when i get the new stick.

7. TripleCore macrumors regular

I just bought a 4x2GB kit and it's running great in my new MP. I always buy from them. The prices are good and only once had ram problems over the years, but they promptly issued a replacement. They don't advertise as much as Crucial and OWC, but they are a safe bet, and I will continue to buy from them.