MemTool vs. Top Command - Conflicting CPU Readings

Discussion in 'Jailbreaks and iOS Hacks' started by scootaru, Jul 11, 2009.

1. scootaru macrumors 6502

Nov 7, 2008
    Columbus, OH
    I've been trying to track down the culprit of my battery issues, so I did a search for CPU monitoring applications. I came across MemTool first. I thought this application was exactly what I was looking for. It had all of the running processes with memory and CPU usage. I thought the CPU usage was a percent of total CPU capability, but I'm starting to wonder now.

I did some more research and found that I could use the Top command in MobileTerminal and get the same information. I downloaded the Top command line package from Cydia and tested it out. What I found was something completely different than what I was seeing in the MemTool app.
    Most processes weren't consuming any CPU power. I think the only processes using CPU were Top and MobileTerminal (obviously), Springboard, and Mediaserverd. When I used MemTool, many other processes were consuming some sort of CPU power. The numbers wouldn't even match up for the common processes between the two. Mediaserverd would jump around 3% using the Top command, but as of right now, it is 39.63% using MemTool.

My logical side says the Top Command is more realistic because if the MemTool app was right, my phone would probably be pretty hot most of the time. I just can't figure out what I'm missing.

Does anyone know what the CPU numbers in MemTool really represent? It would be nice if someone could direct me to a users guide for MemTool, in english.

Also, are there any other ways to monitor CPU usage out there so I can get some more data to verify one or the other? Any suggestions would be helpful.