Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
That's right. but what others think of a few things look-wise/fit-wise has always been important to me since I don't believe in my own taste in 'fashion'. Utility wise, 44mm makes the most sense to me- bigger screen and battery. Also, it will be easier to read the screen during my workouts/rides.
Thank you for your reply!

Go into the store and try them on and my advice is: do not take photos... you habe to choose in the store. If you take a photo, hold your phone as far as you can away from the apple watch, to get a realistic photo.

What is your wrist size?
Here you can see a 42 on my 150mm wrist. Photo taken from distance and because of that it looks not too much too big.

Attachments

• 35D36C50-75A4-4A09-BC78-F19044BBC04E.jpeg
    35D36C50-75A4-4A09-BC78-F19044BBC04E.jpeg
    2.4 MB · Views: 2,558

Pavanth

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Good to see ambiguity cleared up for someone...Pavanth, what is your actual wrist circumference?

160mm
[doublepost=1538781004][/doublepost]
Go into the store and try them on and my advice is: do not take photos... you habe to choose in the store. If you take a photo, hold your phone as far as you can away from the apple watch, to get a realistic photo.

What is your wrist size?
Here you can see a 42 on my 150mm wrist. Photo taken from distance and because of that it looks not too much too big.

Alright, I’ll walk into a store to try out the S3 sizes today. Maybe this time, I won’t take a close up photo, but look at it from a mirror to see how it actually looks from a distance.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012

What is your wrist size?

Interesting...I think the metal band allows you to wear that size, if you’re wrist is only 150mm. Can you wear the sports band? Or does it not work for you?

When I tried the larger watch with the sports band, the band (not the watch) extended beyond my wrist. But I bet the metal band “hugs” the wrist a little better. Course, I think the 44 is supposed to be bigger than the 42?

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Interesting...I think the metal band allows you to wear that size, if you’re wrist is only 150mm. Can you wear the sports band? Or does it not work for you?

When I tried the larger watch with the sports band, the band (not the watch) extended beyond my wrist. But I bet the metal band “hugs” the wrist a little better. Course, I think the 44 is supposed to be bigger than the 42?

The Sports band does not work, exact the problem you describe.
Milanese is working and the Leather bands too. Did not try the sport loop at the moment.
The bigger 44mm is not very noticeable.
Here a Picture of the 44 with link bracelet on my 150mm wrist.

Attachments

• 06D19B1B-1845-4F1B-AA74-50C63F34010A.jpeg
    06D19B1B-1845-4F1B-AA74-50C63F34010A.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 2,226

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Interesting—and do you still prefer the larger size?

They look good to me. The bands really make a difference!

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Interesting—and do you still prefer the larger size?

They look good to me. The bands really make a difference!
Yes, as I am a large guy too and have big hands it fits ok. The Bands are very important for skinny wrists if the watch is ok or not. As I would never wear a sportband daily, this bands are not Important for me.
2015 I exchanged the watches very often, a few days I worn both sizes left and right :-D (weekend).
I found the 38 was itself a very tiny thing. Even if you see it only on the store displays.
This year, I bought my wife a 38mm Sport and was afraid how small it felt again.
The only reason at the moment I would advice someone to buy a 40mm is, if he has small hands too and/or wants to use sport bands or want to have a whide choice of bands he can use.

But when you wear the small one long enough I think it can start to look ok.
I attach a Picture of 40mm with sport Band. Looks nice fitting but out of proportion to the hand.

Attachments

• 7806DE00-05C5-4922-8FCE-2AE7BEC94A43.jpeg
    7806DE00-05C5-4922-8FCE-2AE7BEC94A43.jpeg
    1.8 MB · Views: 1,440

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Here an other shot of the 42 on 150mm wrist.

Attachments

• A1AB144E-6994-49F2-908A-B786BCD9369B.jpeg
    A1AB144E-6994-49F2-908A-B786BCD9369B.jpeg
    1.3 MB · Views: 1,397

Pavanth

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Yes, as I am a large guy too and have big hands it fits ok. The Bands are very important for skinny wrists if the watch is ok or not. As I would never wear a sportband daily, this bands are not Important for me.
2015 I exchanged the watches very often, a few days I worn both sizes left and right :-D (weekend).
I found the 38 was itself a very tiny thing. Even if you see it only on the store displays.
This year, I bought my wife a 38mm Sport and was afraid how small it felt again.
The only reason at the moment I would advice someone to buy a 40mm is, if he has small hands too and/or wants to use sport bands or want to have a whide choice of bands he can use.

But when you wear the small one long enough I think it can start to look ok.
I attach a Picture of 40mm with sport Band. Looks nice fitting but out of proportion to the hand.
Here an other shot of the 42 on 150mm wrist.

That looks to be about the size that I’m comfortable with!

I went to the store today and tried the 42mm. They look very different when looked in a mirror from a distance and in a photo. The angle in the photo is skewed and does no justice to how it looks in real life. I seem to be settling down with a 44mm for my 160mm wrist! Thank you!

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
That looks to be about the size that I’m comfortable with!

I went to the store today and tried the 42mm. They look very different when looked in a mirror from a distance and in a photo. The angle in the photo is skewed and does no justice to how it looks in real life. I seem to be settling down with a 44mm for my 160mm wrist! Thank you!
I was in store today too.
The sport loop fits very good small wrists too.
And the silikon band is ok too.
Again 44mm 150mm wrist:

Attachments

• 51A10215-E803-48A0-920F-6CF32C8AA3E5.jpeg
    51A10215-E803-48A0-920F-6CF32C8AA3E5.jpeg
    1.5 MB · Views: 2,011
Reactions: Pavanth

iPhysicist

macrumors 65816
Nov 9, 2009
Dresden
Its Mapple86 again. 3 years ago you really stressed people with your 42mm is the way to go whether it fits your wrist or not attitude.

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
Its Mapple86 again. 3 years ago you really stressed people with your 42mm is the way to go whether it fits your wrist or not attitude.

Haha.

Well I was in the store and tried the milanese loops with both stainless models. I think my theory that the 44 balances my big hands is correct. However, for the milanese loop to fit securely on my wrist, it had to be tightened completely, so that the doubled over part reached the watch face, if that makes sense? If I pulled it any tighter, the doubled-over part of the strap would go past the watch face.

I think that means the 44 milanese loop is too long.

The smaller watch face with the milanese loop looked a little smaller for my hand, but the doubled over part ended right in the middle underside of my wrist, like where the arteries are. So I think that means the strap for the 40 fits better?

I feel like either could work for me, but if one strap clearly fits and another clearly doesnt, perhaps I should just go with that one?

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
Haha.

Well I was in the store and tried the milanese loops with both stainless models. I think my theory that the 44 balances my big hands is correct. However, for the milanese loop to fit securely on my wrist, it had to be tightened completely, so that the doubled over part reached the watch face, if that makes sense? If I pulled it any tighter, the doubled-over part of the strap would go past the watch face.

The smaller watch face with the milanese loop looked a little smaller for my hand, but the doubled over part ended right in the middle underside of my wrist, like where the arteries are. So I think that means the strap for the 40 fits better?

I feel like either could work for me, but if one strap clearly fits and another clearly doesnt, perhaps I should just go with that one?

I used on my 150mm wrist the 42mm Milanese (original) the first year.
If you are not really smaller than 150mm it should be ok.
First you think you have to tighten it that much, but at the end it was perfect for me to let it end 3-4mm before the band ends.
Tipp: What really good fits, are the Sport loops. There is a regular size and large.
The Regular ends ~3cm before the end.
A good band for the big watch on small wrists is the link band too.

Krysk

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
Haha.

I had the exact same with the Milanese (that the 44m band ends at the watch face) , after hours and hours of looking at pictures and doubting, I bought the 40mm with Milanese loop. I really felt like that was the better option as the part ended right in the middle underside of my wrist, which indicated to me that that would be the perfect size. I really wanted the 44mm though, I kept telling myself it looked fine but really it didn't, at least not near as nice as the 40mm. Also because it looked so large I probably wouldn't be too comfortable wearing it, which would cause me to wear it less. The 40mm looks like a nice watch, and the 44mm really crosses into the " wrist computer " category for me, which is not the style I was going for. Hope my experience helps your choice, if you'd like pictures id be happy to share.

Reactions: Geert76

rhyzome

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Apr 2, 2012
I had the exact same with the Milanese (that the 44m band ends at the watch face) , after hours and hours of looking at pictures and doubting, I bought the 40mm with Milanese loop. I really felt like that was the better option as the part ended right in the middle underside of my wrist, which indicated to me that that would be the perfect size. I really wanted the 44mm though, I kept telling myself it looked fine but really it didn't, at least not near as nice as the 40mm. Also because it looked so large I probably wouldn't be too comfortable wearing it, which would cause me to wear it less. The 40mm looks like a nice watch, and the 44mm really crosses into the " wrist computer " category for me, which is not the style I was going for. Hope my experience helps your choice, if you'd like pictures id be happy to share.

Yes, pics please! Very useful to see your take on it.

Interesting mapple, the sports loops don’t work very well for me, but i didn’t think to try the link bracelet with the larger one.

Pavanth

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Yes, pics please! Very useful to see your take on it.

Interesting mapple, the sports loops don’t work very well for me, but i didn’t think to try the link bracelet with the larger one.

I'm surprised that the sport loop didn't fit you well! 42mm with sport loop fit snugly on my 160mm wrist without doubling and going anywhere near my watch face!

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015

Didnt work well for you because you simply dont like it or it was too large?
If it was too large I think you had the large Version of the band. The sgandard Version would work for a 135mm wrist too I would say. (Length wise)

Pavanth

macrumors newbie
Sep 30, 2018
Didnt work well for you because you simply dont like it or it was too large?
If it was too large I think you had the large Version of the band. The sgandard Version would work for a 135mm wrist too I would say. (Length wise)

I think the sport loop comes only in one size for each watch case size.

andrezx07

macrumors newbie
Oct 9, 2018
I have 160mm wrists. The problem is that I don’t have the option of trying it out before buying, the watches aren’t released here yet. I’m getting it from the US through a friend.

Still haven’t decided between 44mm and 40mm

Here is how the 40mm looks on me, I have a 160mm wrist

Screen Shot 2018-10-09 at 8.00.09 PM.png

Krysk

macrumors newbie
Oct 8, 2018
Cool to see the smaller size on the wrist too. Really hard to tell which is which.

andrezx07 and Krysk, what do you think of the 40mm size, do you like it?

I like it a lot, the watch looks very subtle which I like. I have not had any issues reading something on the screen eventhough my eyes are not great, and after 2 days of excessive use I have never tapped a wrong button on the screen or something like that, so that shouldn’t be an issue either. Also when showing it to friends they were surprised that I was considering a larger size as they thought this was already on the larger side for my wrist.

I think the 40mm definitely fits and looks better, and I feel like it is more practical to have a smaller one if you do fitness or running.

I do think you’ll be happy with your choice either way though, the 44mm wont look bad, especially if you get the link bracelet that mapple showed. However it really is kind of a trade off between fit and screen size and it depends what you value more. I would recommend the 40mm because the (slightly?) better fit is very important to me especially if you’re intending to wear it every day. You could make the counterargument that you value the screen size more as you’d be interacting with it every day, so it is really up to your preference.

Besides the size, im a big fan of the milanese band, got compliments for the band as well.

Reactions: Pavanth

spacemnspiff

macrumors 6502a
Feb 11, 2009
MD
I have 150mm wrists and I have a S3 42mm. Because I use the watch while running, I have an aftermarket sport loop nylon for breath-ability. The sport loop is at max extent possible, it cannot be tightened any more, it's snug on the wrist at this setting, but the end tab is right next to the watch, which looks a little ugly.

The 44-42mm sport loop starts at 145mm wrist size, I want a sport loop for 42mm that starts at 135mm or so. Color is not a big deal as long the the sport loop is of good quality. Does anyone have any recommendations?

Mapple86

macrumors 6502
Apr 13, 2015
I have 150mm wrists and I have a S3 42mm. Because I use the watch while running, I have an aftermarket sport loop nylon for breath-ability. The sport loop is at max extent possible, it cannot be tightened any more, it's snug on the wrist at this setting, but the end tab is right next to the watch, which looks a little ugly.

The 44-42mm sport loop starts at 145mm wrist size, I want a sport loop for 42mm that starts at 135mm or so. Color is not a big deal as long the the sport loop is of good quality. Does anyone have any recommendations?
Hi, yes just buy the new 44mm Sport Loop from apple. It is ~2cm shorter.
I have 150mm too and the end is ~3cm before the wach body.

dojoman

macrumors 68000
Apr 8, 2010
Go with 40mm trust me it will fit better, I've worn both sizes for a long period not just a day or two.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.