Men's engagement rings

Discussion in 'Community Discussion' started by jsm4182, Sep 27, 2013.

1. jsm4182 macrumors 6502

I got engaged a few weeks ago, got a ring, popped the question in the park where we had our first kiss. We started talking about getting a ring for me to wear while we're engaged. I know its not a common thing in the US but not unheard of, and is tradition in some other countries.

I have a few questions for the men of Macrumors(and women's opinions about their fiancé). Would you wear an engagement ring? What kind of ring would you wear? Which hand would you wear it on?

Ultimately it will come down to what me and my fiancée decide, just curious what other people think.

2. mobilehaathi macrumors G3

mobilehaathi

First, I don't see why you should care what other's would do.

If I were to wear an engagement band, it'd probably be a thin white gold band on my left ring finger.

Congratulations!!

3. tobefirst macrumors 68040

tobefirst

Given that women's engagement rings, at least here in the U.S., are bigger, shinier, more diamond-y, and more expensive than the wedding ring is...

A man's engagement ring should be the same way. :) Bling it up!

4. Andeavor macrumors 6502

5. applesith macrumors 68030

applesith

Congrats!

I've never heard of a man wearing an engagement ring though. Would you then wear it with your wedding band after you are married?

6. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

congratulations to you both.

I say go for it - If my fiancé wanted to wear a ring to symbolise our engagement; I would be very pleased.

in my opinion I would prefer my fiancé to have something less 'blingy' than mine ;) …but as he is a muso; there would be no danger of him having something too garish.

Enjoy it - and show off your commitment :)

7. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

First Congrats!

I say do not waste your money, unless you have it to spare. Is it going to be your wedding band down the road? If not, then will you ever wear it again once you have a wedding band?

If you do decide to go this route, I would suggestion something cheap unless it becomes your wedding band. I do not even wear a wedding band as my job prohibits it.

Besides, people know I am married and if they assume different, I am quick to let them know. My wife barely wears hers either. A ring does not prove anything. Its all about whats in the heart, not whats on your finger.

But does it really matter what we think? It is ultimately your decision in the end.

8. filmamigo macrumors member

I think it's great! I was very happy when, after I had proposed, my fiancee surprised me with an engagement ring. She said she had been considering proposing to me, so it seemed right to go ahead and get me a ring too :)

Neither of us were interested in having diamonds. Her engagement ring was a big ruby, and mine was a gold band with an inset saphire. I wore it on the left hand, ring finger, until I put my wedding band there -- then the engagement ring moved to the right hand.

9. satcomer macrumors 603

satcomer

1. Congratulations!

2. This should be the first clue you got a sugar mama! Keep pestering she need to get you a big diamond with a titanium band and keep pestering her. She will will get the clue that doing this is just making you whipped!

10. jsm4182 thread starter macrumors 6502

Thanks for all the input and congrats, I didn't expect to get much response so quickly to this. Like a few of you have mentioned and I mentioned in the original post, its not that I care what other people think of it, I'm just curious, I'm going to wear one because its what me and my fiancée want. I'm proud of being engaged, she gets something to symbolize it, why shouldn't I get one too.

A few of you have brought up the same questions we're working out, especially the comment regarding cost and if it will also be the wedding band. We're leaning towards something simple and inexpensive, most likely titanium as my hands don't react well with silver or gold. We had originally thought that would be $150-$250 as thats what a lot of jewelry stores sell titanium bands for, but have found nicer ones at stores that specialize in titanium jewelry for cheaper, the ones we like are in the $45-$70 range.

The part I am still thinking about and was looking for input was regarding how to wear it. The options seem to be wear it on right while engaged and move to the left when married, where it on the left while engaged then move to the right when the wedding band is on the left, or wear it on the left and it will just be replaced with the wedding band. Wearing it on the left, especially being a simple band, I'd be worried it would be confused for a wedding band, but does that really matter?

11. firedept macrumors 603

firedept

Wear it on left hand. Your fiance will be wearing hers on the left hand. Just move it to the right hand or put it aside when you get your wedding band.

12. Happybunny macrumors 68000

I've had the pleasure of being married three times (different women)

On the subject of jewelry and engagement rings in particular all three would agree 'Shiny'.:D

I also noticed from my point of view, as my wives got younger the price of the rings got bigger.:eek:

I also notice that they kept hold of the rings.:D

In all seriousness, go with a ring that you feel comfortable with, as you will be wearing it everyday. :)

13. ucfgrad93 macrumors P6

ucfgrad93

Call me old fashioned, but engagement rings are for women.

Congratulations! I hope you have a long and wonderful life together.

14. DowdyFick macrumors regular

Agreed.

Congratulations nonetheless!

15. Apple fanboy macrumors Core

Apple fanboy

Congrats on your engagement. I never got an engagement ring. My wife already had a diamond ring from her mum (for when she left home) so didn't want another. She just chose a simple gold ring with a smokey quartz stone. Cost me around £30! I remember thinking how lucky I was as we were pretty poor back then.

She made up for it with her wedding ring though. Went for a three band Gold thing that cost a fortune. I went with a plain Gold band and have never taken it off since our wedding ceremony, 15 years ago.

16. puma1552 macrumors 601

Agreed, a man wearing an engagement ring seems bizarre, and seems somewhat effeminate.

17. entropyfl macrumors regular

Congratulations!

i don't even wear a wedding ring! i find rings uncomfy so i would nay to a engagement ring.

18. costabunny macrumors 68020

costabunny

Yeh, perhaps something a little more symbolic of the commitment he is endearing to demonstrate…. what do they call those things… Hen Rings? no… thats not it, the male chickens isn't hen, its something else I think…. ;)

(demonstrates future ownership ;) )

<note how I kept that as clean as possible, whilst still exercising my filthy mind>

19. Andeavor macrumors 6502

Yet wearing a wedding band is not...?

Men's engagement rings aren't big clunkers. They're all quite "manly" with a small stone embedded in it, or not.

20. Gutwrench macrumors 65816

Gutwrench

I know what a woman's engagement ring looks like but wouldn't recognize one for a man. Personally I've been married and out of the "scene" for so long I haven't any reason to pay attention to something like that on a guy or girl.

I don't see the need for jewelry on me but if my future wife expressed an interest I wear an engagement ring I'd do it---no questions asked.

Congratulations too, by the way.

21. puma1552 macrumors 601

No.

Like I said, I've never in my life heard of nor seen such a thing in this country, so to me it's really bizarre.

22. Zombie Acorn macrumors 65816

Zombie Acorn