Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
My menu bar is starting to burn into my display. My display is set to turn off within 10 minutes of not being used. Is the menu bar supposed to leave a ghosted image on the display? I've only had this display for a few months now. Does it count as defective if the menu bar is being burned into the display. It's pretty faint but, it's definitely there.

panoz7

macrumors 6502a
Nov 21, 2005
Raleigh, NC
I didn't think that LCDs had burning issues..

They don't. Unlike plasma tvs and older CRT monitors LCDs don't suffer from permanent burn in.

The little bits that make up an LCD have a memory. If they have been displaying the same thing for long periods of time (like the menu bar) they will have trouble displaying something new for a little while. Give your monitor some time displaying something else (like a screen saver) and the burn in will disappear.

rogersmj

macrumors 68020
Sep 10, 2006
Indianapolis, IN
I actually noticed the same thing happening with my iMac when I first bought it last September. It was very faint, but noticeable whenever I shut down and the menu bar disappeared. It lasted for several months, but now it's like the LCD is "broken in" and it doesn't happen anymore. I don't quite understand that, but it seems to be semi-normal and your display is probably fine.

TheSpaz

macrumors 604
Original poster
Jun 20, 2005
Thanks for the quick responses guys! I got a little worried there for a minute. I have it so that my display sleeps but, does that just turn off the backlight? If my display is sleeping but, the image is still being displayed on there, the burn-in must be still occurring right? I had a screensaver chosen to display after 10 minutes of inactivity and my display to sleep after 15 minutes but, now that I think about it, I don't remember seeing my screensaver for quite some time. I think maybe something may have been wrong with my screensaver not starting. I reset my screensaver settings and I'll see if the menu bar image goes away. I also have it so my computer never goes to sleep, so it's probably displaying something on the screen all the time so if the backlight goes out, that doesn't really stop the image from appearing on the screen still but, it would be too dark to see it.

heehee

macrumors 68020
Jul 31, 2006
Same country as Santa Claus
Do you have photoshop? Try running it full screen with different colour canvas (ie, black, white, blue, red, yellow, green..etc or run something in full screen) for a minute of each. I have the same problem with mine, I have my monitor on for atleast 8 hours a day. It should get rid of your "burn in effect".

monke

macrumors 65816
May 30, 2005
DVD Player. Sit back, relax, and watch a movie. That may be the trick. :)

Tangerine

macrumors regular
Jan 5, 2007
You may have ghosting issue with the display. I know there fews owner report owning the ACD and have ghosting issue where you left a window on too long a ghost image of it is left. I know there some out there that don't have this issue, maybe you should return your because of the defect and try to get another one.

davegoody

macrumors 6502
Apr 9, 2003
Nottingham, England.
LCDs are not like Plasma screens . . . .

How can the image be displayed if the display is sleeping?

LCD screens and Plasma Panels work in completely different ways . . . in a Plasma display, each pixel glows under it's own steam - i.e. when power is applied to that pixel, it glows, independently with no backlight. - An LCD is a completely different beast. LCD monitors have a matrix of LCD pixels sitting on top of a backlight - the backlight being either a Cold-Cathode tube (contains mercuric oxide - nasty stuff) - or in more modern LCDs a high brightness LED backlighting system.. . . . . . . the point here is that when a LCD is "put to sleep", in most if not all cases, the backlight is turned off - the actual LCD display is often still energised and therefore an image is displayed, even if it cannot be seen due to the lack of a backlight.

Hope this helps your understanding !

billabong

macrumors 6502
Jan 7, 2004
I have just noticed this issue when I installed 10.5.2 and I had the blue screen on for a long time. I can see the faint outlines of my login screen. I believe this is because a screen saver doesn't start when you are at the login screen which is stupid. So my cinema display has been stuck on the damn login screen for hours and hours a week. Any advice?

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.