Menu Bar Color

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by liquidsense, Mar 14, 2008.

1. liquidsense macrumors member

I'm not sure why, but there seems to be a void of information regarding changing the menu bar color in Leopard. I've searched here, but seem to find only a single recommendation: MenuShade (which I understand is buggy with Leopard). Most of the other discussion involves changing the transparency of the menu bar, or changing the color of icons in the menu bar.

Two questions:
    1) Is there some reason this isn't more commonly discussed? I would think this would be a very common request.
    2) How can one change the color of the menu bar?

2. imfrog2002 macrumors 6502

I don't know why it isn't more commonly talked about, but you can change it with LeoColorBar. Enjoy! (NOTE: I haven't tried this software, but I'm trying it now. I'll let you know if it has any weird effects on my computer.)

3. TygerMac macrumors newbie

Regarding LeoColorBar: It's not doing anything for me...I hit apply changes and nothing happens...

4. Cameront9 macrumors 6502a

Cameront9

I'm guessing the reason it isn't commonly discussed is that the menu bar has been there since Mac OS began. Most people are used to it and it is part of the look of the operating system...Plus (leopard transparency issues aside), the neutral color usually separates it from the program you are running/your desktop very easily, making it easier on the eyes to find and see all the program's options..

5. wesk702 macrumors 68000

wesk702

quickfix:
    just chop the top portion of your wallpaper with whatever color you like and keep it trnsparent.

ghetto but whatever

6. motulist macrumors 601

motulist

Why would you think it's such a common request? What's wrong with it? I think it's pretty safe to assume that no one requests it because the vast majority of people are fine with how it is. People on the MR forums complain about every single tiny little thing, and I've never heard anyone bothered by the menu bar color before. Menu bar transparency I've definitely heard complaints about, but I don't recall anyone really caring about the menu bar color.

7. appledyl macrumors regular

appledyl

LeoColorBar works great except that it takes away some of the glossiness and makes it look more like a windows 2000 taskbar but it still change your menubar to any color. (except black)

8. martianman9 macrumors newbie

Theme Park

You can change the menu bar color using Theme Park and Photoshop.

1. Download Theme Park
    2. When it starts save the theme file right away. Name it anything you want and store it anywhere you want.
    3. Click on the button Edit sArtFile.
    4. Scroll down and select index 88.
    5. Click send to Photoshop.
    6. Make your modifications and then DO NOT close Photoshop.
    7. Go back to Theme Park and click Receive from Photoshop.
    8. Save the sArtFile and close it.
    9. Save the theme then click apply theme.
    10. Close Photoshop (no need to save since it's already been saved in the sArtFile)
    11. Restart your computer and there you have it, it's been changed!

Note: If this messes up your computer I cannot be held liable. I only told you what worked for me. Whether you decide to use my directions or not is your responsibility.

9. s.white.91 macrumors newbie

LeoColorBar

You have to pick a desktop image for LeoColorBar to work. You don't have to change your background, simply select your current one from wherever you have it located in your files, then click "Set Desktop" and you are good to go!
    This is a very basic application. You need to set your system preferences to "Transparent menu bar," but then once you change the color with the LeoColorBar the transparent look goes away.

Hope this helps!