Menu bar flicker during desktop change

Discussion in 'Mac Pro' started by 04eastwood, Nov 12, 2008.

1. 04eastwood macrumors newbie

I just picked up a used Power Mac G5. It's pretty sweet. Dual 1.8GHz processors, 8GB RAM, 160 GB boot drive and I put in a 1TB storage HD. Everything is great, runs smoothly etc. I was setting it up all day yesterday didn't notice anything. I left it on last night to continue copying files from my external HD and when I checked it this a.m. I noticed that when it would change desktop images the top menu/status bar (or whatever it's called) would flicker as the images were changing and then would be fine.

So I turned off the changing desktop option and it's fine. That's the only part of the screen that flickers too. Lasts only as long as it takes to switch pictures. I know it's not the monitor because I've had it less than a year and it wasn't doing it on my previous computer and it wasn't doing it yesterday.

If anyone has any ideas on solutions I'd really appreciate it. My solution for now is just to not have the changing desktop, but I wish it wouldn't flicker regardless.

Thanks,

Clint (first post)

2. LurchNC macrumors regular

Hi,
    This is just a guess, but are you running Leopard? If so I would try to turn off the "Translucent Menu Bar" option and see if thats what is causing it.

3. 04eastwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Yes I am running Leopard. Good call. I'll give that a shot - if I can remember where to find that option? haha

Thanks Lurch

4. 04eastwood thread starter macrumors newbie

Apparently I don't have the most up to date software because I don't have the translucent menu bar option. I'm doing my software updates now....

5. LurchNC macrumors regular

Yeah, it should be under the display options. I think its where you set your Desktop Background. It came in after the initial release, but I don't remember which update.