Menu Bar Going Weird

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by MostlyMatthew, Mar 9, 2011.

1. MostlyMatthew macrumors newbie

Hey-
    I'm running Mac OS X, version 10.5.8. I've started having a problem which isn't really all that important, but would be nice to resolve.
    My menu bar at the top has been displaying numerous glitchy behaviors:
    • Icons overlap each other.
    • Some icons keep the dark grey background (as though I were clicking on them) constantly.
    • When using a pull-down menu such as the one used to switch users, I have to click quick because it disappears in a moment.
    • Some items won't show up at all until I click the space they ought to be in.
    • Often the :apple: drop-down menu is out-of-place, I can see the drop shadow but only the upper corner of the menu.
    Anyone have any idea why this is happening? Are they all different problems? My OS behaves itself quite nicely the rest of the time.

2. wrldwzrd89 macrumors G5

wrldwzrd89

I've had similar menu bar glitches before - usually this is caused by an unresponsive application, widget, or menulet. To find the offender open up Activity Monitor, in your Utilities folder, and look for anything that's Not Responding.

3. MostlyMatthew thread starter macrumors newbie

Unfortunately I've thought that might be the case and checked it... The same things tend to happen no matter what's open, what's responding or not responding. The dark grey backgrounds and vanished items often occur when I first start up, before I've done anything.

4. Knoodles macrumors 6502

Knoodles

Try moving com.apple.systemuiserver from your cache folder and com.apple.systemuiserver.plist from your preferences folder to the desktop. Log out and in or restart. You might have to re add some of your menu items. Any help?