Menu Bar Item Question

Discussion in 'OS X Mavericks (10.9)' started by Kashchei, Aug 8, 2015.

1. Kashchei macrumors 65816

Kashchei

My work machine has Alertus on it and I fear this program is slowing down the computer. In order to test the theory, I wanted to remove it, reboot, and see if things had improved. The problem is, there is an app but there is an item in the menu bar (on the right top of the screen) as well. I don't know where to find the menu bar item in the system folder or wherever it hides--can anyone help me to locate the file that will keep Alertus from loading?

2. ricede macrumors regular

ricede

Some menubar items are kept in Mac HD/Library/Bundles
    Also in System/Library/CoreServices/ Menu Extras ( i think these tend to be Apple ones )

it would also be worth checking in System Preferences/ Accounts/ Startup Items & delete references to it there.

Does the app not have an uninstaller package? It would either be in the application folder or maybe you would have to rerun the installer package to find it there.

3. Weaselboy Moderator

Weaselboy

Staff Member

Run the app Etrecheck once and it will generate a report that shows all startup and launch items. You should see Alertus on the list along with the location of the launch item so you can delete it.

http://www.etresoft.com/etrecheck

4. Kashchei thread starter macrumors 65816

Kashchei

Thank you, Weaselboy!