Menu Bar Items disapear and Reappear Every Few Seconds

Discussion in 'MacBook Pro' started by SpaceKitty, Sep 9, 2009.

1. SpaceKitty macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I bought a new MacBook Pro Wednesday and the items on the right side of the menu bar go away and then come back every so often. This just started and I don't like it. The clock and wifi and all the other things are gone.

How do I get these back? Thanks Oh this is running Leopard, it didn't come with Snow Leopard.

Thanks

2. J the Ninja macrumors 68000

Check your crash log. Anything from SystemUIServer in there? If it is, do you use anything that employs MenuCracker, like iStat Menus? MenuCracker works by posing as an Apple menu extra you don't use,then loads the third-party menu extras given to it, essentially piggybacking off the API that Apple uses for their own extras. This gives a few perks, like rearranging and removing with cmd+drag, and being able to click on one, move the mouse to another, and have that one open. If you are actually using the real extra, it will conflict with MenuCracker trying to sneak your third party extras in, and SystemUIServer crashes as a result. You'll need to set MenuCracker to pose as another one. (This works differently depending on the app. There are several it can use, like Ink and CHUD's CPU control extra. Chances are pretty slim you need all of them running.)

3. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

I haven't installed a single thing yet on this computer, It's basically the way it came from the factory. All i have set up is MobileMe.

4. SpaceKitty thread starter macrumors 68040

SpaceKitty

OK, this stupid problem seems like it fixed itself after I ran Photo Booth. Not sure why...

Oh and the computer did come with Snow Leopard, the version is 10.6.