Menu bar items = menuettes? What?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Muskie, Sep 10, 2009.

1. Muskie macrumors 6502

Muskie

So I've got a friend who is taking an Intro to Mac class right now. The other day she texted me while doing her homework or taking a test or something asking me what the little icons up in the top right corner are (ie Airport, Volume, Bluetooth, etc.) I told her I wasn't positive but off the top of my head they might be "Menu Bar Items". She said that wasn't correct. Seemed a little strange to me, so I went home and googled it. The only thing I could find that they might be called was indeed Menu Bar Items. So I told her that.

Today she was back in class, and the teacher was going over the answers. She texted me that her teacher said they were called "Menuettes". Now I have been using OSX since it came out, and other Mac OSes since I was about 6, and I have never heard that word before. So I immediately googled that word, and any other spelling I could think of. The only thing I could find (and in fact the one thing that most spellings of it pointed to) was the Menuet iTunes helper app which places (ironically enough) a controller up with the other Menu Bar Items.

When I replied to her about this, she told me he has already made up some other stuff about how computers work (she's been a windows user forever, and is rather computer saavy).

So have I just missed a big thing like this altogether for the past 18 years? Or is her teacher confused (read: lies)?

Thanks

2. jmann macrumors 604

jmann

bump on a log in a hole in the bottom of the sea
  3. Xavier macrumors 68020

This teacher sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about.

I have never heard of this.

4. Fishrrman macrumors G4

RE:
    "Today she was back in class, and the teacher was going over the answers. She texted me that her teacher said they were called "Menuettes". Now I have been using OSX since it came out, and other Mac OSes since I was about 6, and I have never heard that word before. So I immediately googled that word, and any other spelling I could think of"

and:
    "This teacher sounds like he doesn't know what he's talking about"

The teacher knows very well what he is talking about, but the name he used - "menuette" - may not necessarily be the word that everyone uses.

He was referring to the "menu extra" items that can be found in:
    /system/library/coreservices/menu extras

Look for them on your own Mac.

You can activate the Menu Extra "menuettes" by double-clicking on them. Doing so installs a small menu icon on the right-hand side of the screen.

A common one to install is the "eject" item, which installs a triangular-shaped icon in the menu bar to control the CD/DVD drive.

5. Gregg2 macrumors 603

There used to be a third party app called Menuette for OS9. It forced the cursor back to the Menu Bar after clicking on a drop down item. I think Menu Extras is the proper/preferred term for those optional menu items.

6. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Yes, these are exactly what we are talking about. But like you said menuettes "may not necessarily be the word that everyone uses". I've heard menu extras once or twice, and Menu Items most frequently. But never menuettes.

Thanks everyone.

7. Salmar macrumors regular

I believe they are called " menulets" according to David Pogue's Leopard book.

8. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Ah! You are right. That brings up all sorts of results. Interesting that I've never heard that before.

Thanks.

9. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Cool.

But....how does one get rid of the item?

10. Muskie thread starter macrumors 6502

Muskie

Command+clicking them allows you to drag them off the menu bar entirely, or switch their positions.

11. ungraphic macrumors 6502a

ungraphic

Awesome! Thanks!