Menu bar loads slowly due to iTunes on restart?

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by Compton, Jul 1, 2012.

1. Compton macrumors member

I just got my rMBP but I have a strange problem. If I shut down the laptop while iTunes is active and leave the default "restore windows when logging back in" option ticked, then the menu bar (and the associated apps) loads very slowly (~20 seconds after the desktop appears).

If, however, I shut down iTunes and do the same thing, the menu bar loads much more quickly (~5 seconds) when logging back in. It appears that iTunes is the culprit. Any suggestions? Currently I'm using a script together with a keyboard shortcut to shut down iTunes before shutting down the computer.

Any suggestions?

2. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Yes, just shut down iTunes before you restart, or uncheck the "restore windows..." option. You shouldn't need to restart very often, anyway. Just use sleep mode.

3. Compton thread starter macrumors member

I have to shut down often because I use Bootcamp a lot. I was hoping that someone could point an easy fix for the problem, e.g. the deletion of a system file to reset settings. The script works fine but it's kind of alarming that the operating system behaves this way.

4. \-V-/ Suspended

\-V-/

Uncheck the restore windows box as has been suggested. Thankfully that option now sticks with the latest Lion update.