Menu bar question

TerenceW

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Does anybody know how to remove redundant icons from the menu bar in Mavericks? I've uninstalled and App I didn't want but the icon is still there. Click on it, and I get the message that 'The app cannot run simultaneously in two different sessions'... Except that it's not running anywhere since it no longer exists!

Help would be appreciated!

Terence

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Did you trying holding the control key down and then drag it off the menu?

Check the startup items in the User & Groups preference panel

TerenceW

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Did you trying holding the control key down and then drag it off the menu?

Check the startup items in the User & Groups preference panel
Thanks. Yes, I did, but that only works for the System Icons, not for third party installed apps, apparently...

It doesn't appear in the startup items - in fact several others don't, either.

maflynn

Staff member
May 3, 2009
Boston
Its the command key, my bad.

Then the reason why its still there, is the app may still be running, as I mentioned check what's starting up (found in the Users preference)

TerenceW

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Its the command key, my bad.

Then the reason why its still there, is the app may still be running, as I mentioned check what's starting up (found in the Users preference)
Yes, I used the command key - I don't think I notice you saying 'Control'! I've completely uninstalled the app (logmein) and I can't find any instances of it anywhere except in Activity Monitor, where it refers to 'Logmein menu bar' with 10 threads.

It doesn't appear at all in the Preferences/Users/Login Items, which I find a bit puzzling.

TerenceW

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
Hmm... All I find are a lot of 'Preferences' documents and at the bottom of the list a 'shellext.log' that goes from June 30 - July 20 with every entry saying 'unable to find path for fiNode.

TerenceW

macrumors member
Original poster
Aug 26, 2011
I found advice to do this - open the terminal and type: launchctl remove com.logmein.logmeingui

It worked, so is good or future reference...

PixelpusherBV

macrumors member
Dec 16, 2013
Harwich, UK
I had the same problem with logmein. I used Appzapper to get rid of most of the files, then spotlight to find more, but had to go manual & find the remaining hooks in the library & finally got rid of that icon.