Menu Navigation

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by kamalds, Dec 16, 2010.

1. kamalds macrumors regular

I recently bought myself a Macbook Pro 13-inch model and I've been loving it so far. One thing that really bugs me is how bad the menu navigation is in OS X. I just read this on Macrumors and the only way to access menu from keyboard is by using ctrl+F2 key for which I have to press ctrl+fn+f2 key since F2 is a secondary function.

Also, there is no way of going directly to the middle of the menu by keyboard shortcuts, right? If that is true, Mac OS X is still not polished enough for laptops. :(

So, is there are a better way to control the menu items?

2. simsaladimbamba

It doesn't seem that way. But you can use the keyboard shortcuts assigned to the functions or even create your own via System Preferences >>> Keyboard >>> Keyboard Shortcuts.

3. kamalds thread starter macrumors regular

Thanks bud. I have now assigned mac key+esc to call the menu. It was conflicting with something called "front row". So I removed the shortcut from that frontrow.

Dedicated function keys (F1-F12) would have made everything the user experience so much better!

You know, I have to hit fn+F5 key to refresh in Firefox. In my windows laptops, I just press F5 to refresh.

4. GGJstudios macrumors Westmere

GGJstudios

Do you have this checked in System Preferences > Keyboard & Mouse > Keyboard?
    ScreenCap 6.PNG

5. kamalds thread starter macrumors regular

Thank you so much GGJstudios! It was not checked before, but now it is.

This community is great :)