Menu that links to folders...

Discussion in 'Mac Programming' started by furycd001, Mar 9, 2011.

1. furycd001 macrumors member

furycd001

First time post & new to the forums so hey to everyone...

Im relatively new to programming on mac and what im looking to do is to create a menu/dropdown that i can place on my desktop and have links to different folders on my mac. I am looking for something along the lines of your basic file & edit drop down menus from the panel except something that i can have sitting on my desktop & that i can link to different folders etc etc...

Your help will be much appreciated as ive done many googles & found nothing of help...

2. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

Thanks for the reply...

...Yes my question is programming related & i also already know about adding folders to the dock. I am looking to create/programme something simple like a drop down menu which will contain links to specified folders. I have found stuff like dragthings from a few googles but its not really to my liking after trying it.

3. jiminaus macrumors 65816

jiminaus

Do you want to put a icon with a drop-down menu in the menu bar near where the clock is?

If so and you're coding in Objective-C and Cocoa, you want look at NSStatusBar and NSStatusItem. There's an example of how to use these in "Status Bar Programming Topics" in the developer docs.

4. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

No im looking for it to float on the desktop itself...

...All i need is a basic drop down menu that can be used to access folders.

5. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

6. chown33 macrumors 604

What's your overall programming experience?

If you're new to Mac programming, you'll need to learn Objective-C and the Cocoa frameworks.

7. furycd001 thread starter macrumors member

furycd001

For years i've been programming in .net but have just recently started to learn c & c++