Menubar and Finder window issues?

Discussion in 'Mac OS X Lion (10.7)' started by Trodain, Apr 30, 2013.

1. Trodain macrumors newbie

Alright, hello everybody. I'm on a 13-inch, late 2011 Macbook pro and I have 2 issues, both of which are technically cosmetic, but they're really getting on my nerves. The first is the menubar; it is stuck completely black. I've had Nocturne in the past for the inverted menubar, but I've read into that and I'm confident Nocturne isn't the issue. I've totally uninstalled it and everything, and the menubar and every word/icon on it is black. It's practically impossible to read the time, the menus, etc. The second issue is that whenever I open a finder window, spotlight, or anything that would have that silvery background. Instead, it has a weird squiggly design and strange black arrows across the top, pointing to the right. I don't know what it could be that is doing this; does anybody have any suggestions on how to fix it? :confused:

2. Drew017 macrumors 65816

Drew017

Have you tried making a new user, and seeing if the menu shows up normally in it? If not it's not a system wide problem… that narrows the problem down to your user.

3. Trodain thread starter macrumors newbie

I have, it's system wide. From things I've been reading on the internet, I have a feeling some system files were modified or deleted. Is there anyway to undo this? Time Machine isn't set up. I'm just seriously hoping that in the event that system files were deleted, I'm not totally screwed.

4. benwiggy macrumors 68020

1. System files shouldn't normally get deleted or modified without your authorisation. Don't give your authorisation so readily. (And don't modify or delete system files.)

2. If you don't have a backup, then you'll have to reinstall the OS. A default install will write the system onto the existing disk, leaving all other data intact.

3. But you should make a backup before you do this, just in case something goes wrong.

4. Make a backup.