menubar and sound output

bmorris

macrumors 6502
Original poster
Nov 8, 2007
ATL
is there a third party app that puts a sound icon in the menu bar for quick switching between headphones and lineout and internal speakers?

i found breakaway but i think thats just for itunes.

diazj3

macrumors 6502a
Jan 19, 2008
Recently I found this... SoundSource by Rouge Amoeba (developers of Audio Hijack Pro - wich is just amazing)... SoundSource is free, and comes from a respectable company. I've tried it for a couple of weeks and seems to work OK, no problems so far... perhaps others can tell about their experience with it. But it's been worth installing.

andersonmattt

macrumors member
Jun 11, 2008
Just go to system preferences and under sound, check "Show Volume in Menu Bar". Then just option click on the volume icon in the menu bar to get a choice of outputs and inputs

philipt42

macrumors 6502
Jun 26, 2009
RI
Just go to system preferences and under sound, check "Show Volume in Menu Bar". Then just option click on the volume icon in the menu bar to get a choice of outputs and inputs
Only in SL, I'm afraid. This post was made in 2008, therefore the OP was using leopard.

rickdollar

macrumors 6502
Mar 12, 2007
Just read this thread and downloaded Soundsource.
I cannot believe I didn't research this years ago.
I LOVE this program.

If you have a Mac Pro you can have your external speakers plugged in the rear and if you plug headphones in the front headphone port, the sound will automatically switch to your headphones!

Again, how many friggin' years did I spend opening the sound panel in system prefs to switch jacks? What a dope.