menubar and sound output

Discussion in 'Mac Apps and Mac App Store' started by bmorris, Sep 11, 2008.

1. bmorris macrumors 6502

bmorris

is there a third party app that puts a sound icon in the menu bar for quick switching between headphones and lineout and internal speakers?

i found breakaway but i think thats just for itunes.

2. diazj3 macrumors 6502a

Recently I found this... SoundSource by Rouge Amoeba (developers of Audio Hijack Pro - wich is just amazing)... SoundSource is free, and comes from a respectable company. I've tried it for a couple of weeks and seems to work OK, no problems so far... perhaps others can tell about their experience with it. But it's been worth installing.

3. bmorris thread starter macrumors 6502

bmorris

4. andersonmattt macrumors member

andersonmattt

Just go to system preferences and under sound, check "Show Volume in Menu Bar". Then just option click on the volume icon in the menu bar to get a choice of outputs and inputs

5. philipt42 macrumors 6502

philipt42

Only in SL, I'm afraid. This post was made in 2008, therefore the OP was using leopard.

6. rickdollar macrumors 6502

Just read this thread and downloaded Soundsource.
    I cannot believe I didn't research this years ago.
    I LOVE this program.

If you have a Mac Pro you can have your external speakers plugged in the rear and if you plug headphones in the front headphone port, the sound will automatically switch to your headphones!

Again, how many friggin' years did I spend opening the sound panel in system prefs to switch jacks? What a dope.