Become a MacRumors Supporter for $50/year with no ads, ability to filter front page stories, and private forums.

neel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Hi guys, I have a macbook (a black one), and I love it. I just got it recently.

I have noticed, however, that the menu transparency does not work all of the time.

I have a black background much of the time, so I didn't even notice at first. However, I just recently switched background and remembered about the transparent menu bar. Later, however, my menu bar was not transparent. For a time, the little apple in the corner actually wasn't even black (it was a gray, similar to that of the menu bar).

What's the deal with this? I'd hate to think that some software that I may have installed has already messed up an insignificant but neat function of my new laptop.

For the record, the only UI tweaks I have attempted are the following: I disabled the dashboard to free memory, I changed the dock images, and I attempted to run a program called menushade (I believe this may be the culprit) which launched, froze immediately, and then quit. I have emailed the company that makes menushade (its supposed to dim your menu or something), but haven't received a response yet.

Are there any terminal lines that are supposed to restore the menu bar to the translucent state? If not, its really not the end of the world. Im not sure if I even care, it just bothers me to know that I may have ran some software that would already cause a problem. One of the things I couldn't stand about my last laptop (windows) was how there were all sorts of programs that would need to be installed to view a filetype or to access a certain online service, and they never go away. They changed the system in ways that couldn't be undone, and they just piled up, leading to a system that was eventually totally bogged down and practically unrecognizable. In the few weeks Ive had my mac, Ive tried to avoid this, and have been very successful for the most part. I actually dont think that there is anything that my machine won't do right now that I need it to do.

neel

macrumors newbie
Original poster
Dec 10, 2007
Perhaps the best solution possible, but also the most embarrasing.

I was retracing my steps to see what I could have done yesterday that caused this. I know my menu bar was transparent when I used the computer earlier in the day. I started retracing my steps, and then I went into a demo of "candybar" that I downloaded to attempt to revert any dock changes. While in candy bar, I noticed that it had an option to change the icon for something called "opaque menubar".

Apparently, the other user of this computer installed that. Fixing my menu bar was as simple as opening up that program and restarting. I'm going to have to have a talk with that person, though.

Thanks anyways guys.

Register on MacRumors! This sidebar will go away, and you'll see fewer ads.