Menubar Realestate

Discussion in 'macOS' started by sstoy, Feb 21, 2008.

1. sstoy macrumors newbie

Hello, I know this may sound strange, but I find menubar space to be very prime realestate, i use a 12" ibook, so clearly I dont' have a lot of it. What bothers me is that applications have full reign over what goes up there: File, Edit, View, Window, Help, plus so many more often. And yes I do use those menus not too infrequently, however I would much rather be able to have more menubar preference icons (monitor, wireless, timemachine, quicksilver, you control tunes, sound source, and lots more) right at my fingertips. I would be willing to sacrifice single step access to the menubar application dropdown menus. What would be ideal is that the application has its name only displayed in the upper left next to the applemenu icon (or even better instead of app name displayed display the icon only, ala the fruit menu option), and when clicked it would drop down to display a vertical menu of all that currently resides horizontally (*application name*, file, edit, view, window, help, etc). This would free up vast amounts of menubar space and additionally looks so much cleaner aesthetically (i did a quick and dirty screen capture edit it to see how it would look).

http://www.flickr.com/photos/24002818@N07/2282104375/

So does anyone know if this exists, or does anyone know if anyone is trying to make this exist? Does anyone else think its a good idea?

And one last thing, before anyone starts fuming about how they love the menubar dropdowns and use them all the time, and how it isn't fair that i would want to do this, please understand: I am not asking apple to change its default menubar, I am simply wanting a customized option for myself.

Thank you

Sean

2. QuarterSwede macrumors G3

QuarterSwede

I really haven't had a need for it on my 12" PB. Surprisingly everything I've run has always had a menu that fit with room to spare.