MenuBar's AirPort MenuExtra has gone invisible. Please Help.

Discussion in 'Mac Basics and Help' started by upaymeifixit, Jul 20, 2010.

1. upaymeifixit macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

I've had this problem for a long time, and finally decided to try to fix it again. My AirPort icon in the MenuBar seems to have disappeared, but just the image. Where it should be is just a blank space, almost as if it's transparent. It still functions just as it should, but never shows the image. I've replaced the .menuextra with one from my other computer to try to fix it. The seemed to start when I was finding white icons for my black menubar.

Here are some pictures to show what I'm talking about.
    [​IMG]

[​IMG]

Any ideas?

2. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Hi

We can try to remove the com.apple.finder.plist from user folder .

Or try in different user account wheather u can find that icon .

And reply back we can try some other steps

3. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Okay, I deleted the com.apple.finder.plist and nothing changed.

It also does the same thing on my other account, so that's probably why deleting that user preference didn't help.

Thanks for helping by the way.

4. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

The OS that is installed is it :Snow Leopard or leopard ?

We can try Remove the Airport menu by Holding command key down and dragging out And then add icon from the Macintosh HD > System > Library > CoreServices > Menu Extras

Else Then next step is to check booting to Install Disc or to Perform Archive and Install .

5. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

It's Snow Leopard 10.6.4 (Latest)

I've dragged the icon out, re-enabled it from Preferences, disabled it, re-enabled it again, I just does the same thing.

Just for fun I dig inside the AirPort.menu and noticed in the "Resources" folder there is only one PDF — AirPortSecure.pdf — should there be more?

6. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

--
    This is wht we find in Airport /System/Library/CoreServices/Menu Extras/AirPort.menu/Contents/Resources/ AirPort0.pdf AirPort1.pdf AirPort2.pdf AirPort3.pdf AirPort0.pdf AirPortBlink.pdf AirPortError.pdf AirPortMonitor.pdf AirPortNetwork.pdf AirPortOff.pdf AirPortSWBS.pdf AirPortScanning1.pdf AirPortScanning2.pdf AirPortScanning3.pdf AirPortScanning4.pdf AirPortSecure.pdf AirPortWarning.pdf AirportInMenu0.pdf AirportInMenu1.pdf AirportInMenu2.pdf AirportInMenu3.pdf AirportInMenu4.pdf AlertTriangleSmall.pdf

if u dont find the others then may be that file is corrupted .we would need to install it ..only way is Archive and install ..

7. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Okay, all I had in there was AirPortSecure.pdf, but I replaced it with my MacBook Air's AirPort.menu file and now I have all the files. It's still doing the same thing though.

I really don't want to do an archive and install as this will remove my theme, so do you know of any thing else I could try?

8. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

Have you checked the "Show Airport status in Menu bar" box is still ticked in the Network System Prefs.
    Uncheck and check .else have u tried to booting into the cd and find the airport icon ? u can see that once u select the language in th language screen .

9. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

If I were to boot into the CD how would I find the file?

10. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

When We insert the disc and restart the computer and boot to disc- next to language screen and then lic agreement --in th next screen on th right hand top side -we would see the Airport icon .

11. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Okay, but what should I do with that image. It's not the file, and that's what I need right? Or is this just to test if it will display the icon?

12. vasanth4u macrumors member

vasanth4u

We just need to test it wheather we can see or not .

13. upaymeifixit thread starter macrumors 6502a

upaymeifixit

Okay, aparantly changes don't take effect until the computer is restarted, so now it's working. I just need to find some way to make the black pdfs white, any ideas?